Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to make an X-crimp in sheet metal?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
lkrenzler
1634 Views, 7 Replies

How to make an X-crimp in sheet metal?

Sorry, this seems like it should be so easy and it probably is...

I have a number of flat pannels (roughtly 4x5 feet) that need a 3/4" x-crimp (basically push out the center 3/4").  Is there an easy way to do this?  I'm having a bit of trouble figuing it out.  I have a lot of pannels to make, all different sizes so it needs to be easy to change the basic pannel size.

I can make the pannel with conventional tools easy enough but then the flange (and other sheet metal tools) won't work (says it's not a sheet metal edge even though it is the same thickness).

Any ideas?  Any help is much appreciated.  I'm on 2014.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Inventor Pro 2019 - Win. 10 - GeForce GTX 1080 .
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
CCarreiras
in reply to: lkrenzler

Hi!

There´s a proper tool to do these kind of operation.

Do the flat Pattern and then in this FP enviroment, use the tool "Cosmetic Centerline"

1.png

Check it!!

http://help.autodesk.com/view/INVNTOR/2014/ENU/?guid=GUID-FC6F4597-DEB7-40E5-911E-7DB5F4536AF0

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so, use the  Mark Solutions!  Accept as Solution or Give Kudos!Kudos - Thank you!

Regards.
CCarreiras
Message 3 of 8
lkrenzler
in reply to: CCarreiras

Thanks.  I see what that does but it doesn't modify the 3D model.  I was hoping to put an actual crimp it it (we're doing detailed 3D renderings later) and it needs to appear in that as well, so it would be nice to have a correct solid.

Is there any way to actually crimp it?

I tried making a 3D sketch, surfacing it, thickening it to the right thickness but then the other sheet metal tools won't work (mainly the flange tool I need).

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 4 of 8
lkrenzler

Well, I've done it in a round about way, not sure if this is the best.

I created a 3D sketch with the correct geometry.  I created 4 surfaces from the 3D sketch (because inventor won't make a sheet metal face from a 3D sketch it seems...grrrrr).  Created 4 2D sketches from the surfaces.   Created 4 sheet metal faces from the 4 2D sketches.  The 4 sheet metal faces are joined by bends which proved a bit tricky but if finally worked.  The is s small hole in the center from the bend relief which I'm not sure how to fix.

I can't figure out why inventor won't make a sheet metal face from a 3D sketch.  Inventor seems to be full of odd occurances like that, you can do so many cool things...except when you need to.

Oh well, this method works, sort of.

Message 5 of 8
BLHDrafting

If you think about the output of the crimp it creates a square base pyramid, and to make this in the real world requires plastic deformation of the metal, usually by using press dies. Inventor doesn't do this type of deformation.

Brendan Henderson

Web www.blhdrafting.com.au
Twitter @BLHDrafting

Windows 7 x64 -64 GB Ram, Intel Xeon E5-1620 @ 3.6 GHz
ATI FirePro V7800 2 GB, 180 GB SSD & 1 TB HDD, Inv R2016 PDSU SP1 (Build 210), Vault 2016 Professional Update 1 (Build 21.1.4.0)
Message 6 of 8
CCarreiras

Hi!

You dont need such perfection (Reliefs, etc) because in Show case you will not notice that.

Just make a solid with the same geometry as the deformed (crimped) sheet metal part and place it in the assembly.

Make a new assembly (a copy from the main assembly, Dont damage your "production information") and replace the sheet metal parts  with the new "crimp solids". Use this copyed assembly to achieve the renders, use the main assembly to create documentation 2D to production.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so, use the  Mark Solutions!  Accept as Solution or Give Kudos!Kudos - Thank you!

Regards.
CCarreiras
Message 7 of 8
lkrenzler
in reply to: CCarreiras

Thanks guys.  The shop that makes the pannels already knows how to make them, they don't even look at the sheet metal data I send them so that's not a concern.  I need them to look correct (for presentation purposes) in both Inventor and ultimately rendered in Softimage.

I found a bit better solution.  I had to leave a small flat boarder around the edge before the crimp starts so that the flange tool would work.  I've attached my solution if anyone has an interest.

I can change the dimensioins easily enough which was the goal.  For some strange reason, when I change the length to something much longer, the flanges are reversed for no apparent reason.  Strange...

Thanks! - Len

Message 8 of 8
Baishihu

Thank you. Your ideas has solved my problem.

But I would rather use shell. Please take a look at the attached model.

Regards

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report