Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to make an Inventor template out of an Autocad template?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
pfrigon
409 Views, 3 Replies

How to make an Inventor template out of an Autocad template?

Our customer supplied us with an Autocad template, complete with attributes, that I would lite to use as an Inventor template.  I would like to know what is the right procedure.

Thanks

Pat

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
jletcher
in reply to: pfrigon

I always redo the customers .dwg templates Importing them has issues so I just make new in Inventor.. Plus Inventor you can extract information from the part or assembly to fill in half of the information needed on a drawing by importing them and using autocad attributes you have to do typing to fill it in or modify them.

To me it is just easier to remake it.

Message 3 of 4
msklein

You may not like the way some things work, but the answer is a conditional yes. My personal opinion is never copy anything from AutoCad into IV. Always make everything from scratch, in the end you will be much happier< after the first change you have to make to that part. IV does not support the AutoCad text styles of old only the newer postscript styles to start with. Now I did set up my Layout and layers for my standard Notes in AutoCad and import that into IV but that is as far as I will go with anything from AutoCad.

MSK

Message 4 of 4
xboxphili

I create all the sheets I will need without borders or titleblocks in inventor and save an Inventor.dwg file. From their I open those files with AutoCAD and insert the client provided titleblock, save and close. Re-open those files in Inventor and your attributes should still be available for edit.

In my industry we often aren't allowed to edit these titleblocks or re-create them because the client extracts information with software for populating their own project databases.

Hope that helps.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report