Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to make a section view inherit a break out?!?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
thegreatyashu
1023 Views, 3 Replies

how to make a section view inherit a break out?!?

I have a view of an assembly where I used a break out to break through a part. I want to make a section of this, and have that view respect that the part was broken and show it as broken in the new view. How do you do this?

The section view shows the full part 100% unbroken. In the edit view, the only option for cut inheritance is "break". All others are greyed out.

Why I want to do this: I am unable to break it in the section view because there is no option to break through a single part a specified distance. I cannot break an area "from point" or "to sketch" because they don't let you choose a single part for the effect, and the parts completely included in the break out this way are not going to show up in the parts list, so you cannot adjust their section participation, therefore I also cannot just break an area and then choose what parts don't get the effect.

I am at a loss on this one. Does anyone know how to do it this?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
BLHDrafting
in reply to: thegreatyashu

Not sure you can do that. But here are a couple of links to blogs that might shed some light on other techniques.

http://blogs.rand.com/manufacturing/2013/07/nested-break-out-views-in-inventor-drawings.html

http://blh.com.au/#/blog/4572268941/Breakout-selection-from-another-view/6047937

Brendan Henderson

Web www.blhdrafting.com.au
Twitter @BLHDrafting

Windows 7 x64 -64 GB Ram, Intel Xeon E5-1620 @ 3.6 GHz
ATI FirePro V7800 2 GB, 180 GB SSD & 1 TB HDD, Inv R2016 PDSU SP1 (Build 210), Vault 2016 Professional Update 1 (Build 21.1.4.0)
Message 3 of 4
thegreatyashu
in reply to: BLHDrafting

Yeah that's not really what I am trying to do. 

I want to break out a part... say in a plan view, and then I want to have that part STILL be broken when I project it to the elevation view. 

The weird part is... it works when I project to an iso view, so I know Inventor is capable. 

Since I could not figure out why it wouldn't let me do this, I did solve it another way. I created a break out on the side view using a really weird sketch that went over the area in a way where it covered the part I wanted to break out 100% but only the parts nearby at less than 100%. This way, I could use a "to sketch" break out, and then the surrounding parts still show up in the parts list, so then I could still select them and choose their section participation to be "none". This allows a breakout of one part partially obscured by others to a specified distance! True to autodesk form, you have to do something weird to do something normal. 

I still don't know why you cannot project a break out though. It sure would be useful and I could have sworn I used to do it on Inventor years ago. 

Message 4 of 4
t_pcoll
in reply to: thegreatyashu

Hi,

this is currently not supported. We don't recall for any request like that so far. I believe, before Cut Inheritance was introduced we did apply breakouts to projected views and this caused problems to many users. So currently we don't support that, this request sounds unique to us.

Anyway, I think with Cut Inheritance we're able to let user enable Inherit Breakout even to side views where it makes sense for the given view.

I'd suggest to log an IdeaStation and see how often is this needed.

Thanks
Ladislav

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report