Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to make a fixing plate for another part?

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
Thorped01
721 Views, 10 Replies

How to make a fixing plate for another part?

I have huge problems with making a fixing plate for another part.

The first thing i tried where to simply extend the part with a plate and than try to isolate the plate - didn't work

The second thing i tried where to edit the plate in assembly mode with the part right below - didn't work

The third thing i tried where to copy the sketch of the part to the plate but after the copy the constrains didn't exist so this... - ...didn't work either 

I'm out of options, how do I do it the best way?

Btw, running 2015 and I'm familiar with Inventor.

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
JDMather
in reply to: Thorped01

Skeletal Modeling (Derived Components).

Multi-body Solids (also uses Derived Components - pushed out.

Adaptive Modeling.

Attach part (assembly?) here.

Do you have the http://www.amazon.com/Curtis-Waguespack/e/B001JSAVJC book?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 11
Thorped01
in reply to: JDMather

I haven't understood how to use Adaptive Modeling yet. Last time I solved it in another way. But now I really need to work with Adaptive Modeling when I should do this top cap to my 3D printed mobile case.  

I'll guess I need to buy an expensive book...

Message 4 of 11
blair

Without looking at the IAM with all it's related parts, posting the single IPT file doesn't really help us to solve your problem. Sounds like this could be a rather simple problem to solve.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 5 of 11
Thorped01
in reply to: blair

Well, what use do you have of an *.iam if it only contains one part? I need to do the other part with the first one but as two individual parts. 

Message 6 of 11
blair

If you are trying to edit/create a "fixing plate for another part", this would sound like an assembly. If you are working on two parts it would sound like an assembly IAM with both parts inside the IAM constrained to each other in their correct required positions so you can then edit the second part and use Adaptivity to transfer geometry from the first to to the second part.

With the limited information provided, it would be hard to really diagnose your issue.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 7 of 11
JDMather

@Thorped01 wrote:

Well, what use do you have of an *.iam if it only contains one part? I need to do the other part with the first one but as two individual parts. 

That is referred to as "top-down" modeling - covered in the book suggested earlier.

Simply start a Create (new component) in the context of the assembly and you can then use the first part in designing the second part within the context of the assembly (adaptive modeling technique).  One of the three methods suggested earlier.

The other two -

Derived Components

Multi-body solids (which generally also ends with derived components) are also covered in nearly all books or classes on learning Inventor.

If I find time, I will post examples of all three techniques using your file - but you haven't really provided any information on your design intent.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 8 of 11
Thorped01

Have some Swedish books for Inventor but the problems use to be that they use Swedish words to explain features. Meaning I can't search for Adaptive Modeling... :cat mad: But I think I get it now...

Message 9 of 11
JDMather

Multi-body solids techniques are much easier to use than Adaptive and accomplish the same thing.

Very few people learn to use Adaptivity correctly.

Message 10 of 11
blair

This is true, I use so many existing "stock" parts it's hard to really make "Multi-Body" work well in my application so I tend to disregard it. I also is limited with the ability to pattern features across more than one solid.

Example, create a simple 3-body solid. Now create a feature hole through all 3 bodies. Now try and pattern the hole through all 3 bodies. You can only pattern the hole in a single body.

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 11 of 11
wimann

Not that this has all the answers nor does it have all the details, but I threw together a quick video demonstrating all three processes. You may have to watch it on youtube in order to read the text or just full screen it or something.

-Will Mann

Inventor Professional 2020
Vault Professional 2020
AutoCAD Mechanical 2020

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report