Inventor General Discussion

rnanj001
Message 1 of 5 (538 Views)
Accepted Solution

how to Make a coil cord cable model when it is folded

538 Views, 4 Replies
12-05-2012 08:20 PM

Hi,

I am trying to make a  model of coil cord cable (looks like phone cable) in the autodesk inventor10. I know to make a model of the coil cord when it is straight, but how can i make the coil cord model when it is folder. Any help will he up much appreciated.

Thanks

Ravi

Hello Ravi

I was looking to do the same thing in Autocad 2015 and found a way that is fairly simple that provides good results.  Make a helix of the desired radius and height.  While making the helix , after entering the top and bottom radius, enter "T" for the number of turns and enter 1.  You want only one turn of the helix of the desired radius and height.  Then just copy the one-turn of helix and connect and rotate each piece until you have the entire cord shape.  Select all and "Join" the pieces creating a continuous spline.  Draw a circle of the desired cord thickness and do a "Sweep".  You should have a nearly perfect cord.

jhugler wrote:

Hello Ravi

.... Autocad 2015 and found a way that is fairly simple that provides good results.  .....

This is the Inventor forum.  It is much easier in Inventor.  I hope it did not take the OP 2 yrs to figure out how to model the part.

Distinguished Contributor
Mark.Downes
Message 2 of 5 (521 Views)

Re: how to Make a coil cord cable model when it is folded

12-06-2012 12:37 AM in reply to: rnanj001

Hi,

Their is a way to "Fudge a look-a-like", but its is only a Fudge as it

squashes the coil out of true shap.

Make a coil in the straight length,

Create a new sketch and draw a line through the coil that "touches the model" (Important, or it won't work)

Use the bend tool command.

Again, this is only a quick "look-a-like"

Hope this helps

Mark

Inventor 2013

*Expert Elite*
JDMather
Message 3 of 5 (488 Views)

12-06-2012 04:07 AM in reply to: rnanj001

This question has come up here many times in the past.  A search might turn up solutions.

Attach the file of what you have attempted so far.

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2014 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional
Inventor Professional 2015 64-bit
http://www.autodesk.com/edcommunity
http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/content/DSG322/inventor_surface_tutorials.htm
jhugler
Message 4 of 5 (79 Views)

08-21-2014 05:00 AM in reply to: rnanj001

Hello Ravi

I was looking to do the same thing in Autocad 2015 and found a way that is fairly simple that provides good results.  Make a helix of the desired radius and height.  While making the helix , after entering the top and bottom radius, enter "T" for the number of turns and enter 1.  You want only one turn of the helix of the desired radius and height.  Then just copy the one-turn of helix and connect and rotate each piece until you have the entire cord shape.  Select all and "Join" the pieces creating a continuous spline.  Draw a circle of the desired cord thickness and do a "Sweep".  You should have a nearly perfect cord.

*Expert Elite*
JDMather
Message 5 of 5 (63 Views)

08-21-2014 05:36 AM in reply to: jhugler

jhugler wrote:

Hello Ravi

.... Autocad 2015 and found a way that is fairly simple that provides good results.  .....

This is the Inventor forum.  It is much easier in Inventor.  I hope it did not take the OP 2 yrs to figure out how to model the part.

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2014 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional
Inventor Professional 2015 64-bit
http://www.autodesk.com/edcommunity
http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/content/DSG322/inventor_surface_tutorials.htm
Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.