Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to improve AA and overall graphics in inventor?

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
RoyRR
573 Views, 14 Replies

How to improve AA and overall graphics in inventor?

Sorry about formatting! Space breaks do not work for me on this forum......................... I have tried few things already and considered the following options:............................ Switching from shaded view to realistic changes all existing colors and their hues, with or without Raytracing.......................... Changing quality in options doesn't do anything at all................................... Forcing AA filtering through nvidia control panel only makes everything slightly blurry hiding some edges but doesn't smooth them out.................................. I considered Autodesk Showcase but read few posts that the assembly permanently changed colors after using it doesn't sell it to me as I don't want to run the risk of it happening...................................... I have attached some pictures and if someone can tell me if this can get any better or am I stuck with these mosaic of edges? (system has the most up to date drivers 335.23 by nvidia - gtx 780 16gig ram and i7 3770k win 7 64 bit).............................http://s17.postimg.org/efwg2q6jz/Untitled2.png
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
JDMather
in reply to: RoyRR

@RoyRR wrote:
Sorry about formatting! Space breaks do not work for me on this forum.........................

This response isn't about Inventor, but about your problems formatting here.

What browser are you using?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 15
RoyRR
in reply to: JDMather

FF, formatting is not really a problem of mine so I am not interested in investing time into fixing this, I have tried disabling addblock already, there is no filters on my network neither... hopefully the dots made it bearable enough to read
Message 4 of 15
mcgyvr

IMO messing with the nvidia control panel screwed it up for you or something

Frankly I would 100% uninstall all graphics drivers and any nvidia programs and start fresh..

Then don't mess with any of the nvidia settings.. (leave it at let application decide or whatever that option was)

Then in Inventor... tools..application options.. hardware tab.. set it to quality..

The tools..application options..display tab.. set display quality to smoother.. 

AA was NOT a problem in 2012..Its something you've got screwed up.. I'm a freak about AA in Inventor because it used to bug me too and it was great in 2012 and great in 2014 too.. I think it was like 2010 or something that they had problems with it.. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 5 of 15
RoyRR
in reply to: mcgyvr

funny enough that it looked exactly like that before I played with the nvidia control panel (why would I start messing with it if quality would not be an issue?)........................................ the effects introduced by the control panel are 100% reversible as well... the diagnostic tool also sees the card properly and all drivers.................................................................................... at the end of the day the software doesn't seem to utilize any of the resources available (cpu usage caps at 13% and the card never breaks a sweat yet everything is laggy)................................................. I will uninstall the nvidia utilities and drivers to see, but I have tested in on various programs and only inventor is having this issue .......................................................................................
Message 6 of 15
RoyRR

btw can anyone explain to me why hues change when going from shaded to realistic view? I understand shadows but most colors (beside metalic colors) change their hues to the point they become different colors all together (purple becomes very faint baby blue) .. is this normal?
Message 7 of 15
dgorsman

Actually, probably tops out at 16% - you have a hex-core CPU, and are viewing combined activity.  If the individual cores are monitored, you should see one of them pegged at/near 100%.

Graphics issues could be the classic problem with on-chip/discrete video hardware clashing with each other.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 8 of 15
blair
in reply to: dgorsman

The changes is views from Shaded to Realistic tend to do more with Lighting. This should improve in IV2015 (at least it did in Beta). Formatting on the new forum is still messed up on some machines. I can't attach files, insert graphics or carriage returns on the new forum. Doesn't matter if I use IE10, IE11, Safari or Mozilla FireFox.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 9 of 15
RoyRR
in reply to: dgorsman

i7 3770k tops at 13%... please read the post before responding and if you do not have anything sensible to say, don't say anything
Message 10 of 15
RoyRR
in reply to: blair

can lightning change the hue that drastically? make one color (dark purple and glancing black to a white color with glancing baby blue?.. ......................................................................................................................................... http://s27.postimg.org/7i6k9gq2b/Untitled3.png........................................... left-shaded view/middle-ray tracing/right-realistic no ray tracing
Message 11 of 15
mcgyvr

@RoyRR wrote:
btw can anyone explain to me why hues change when going from shaded to realistic view? I understand shadows but most colors (beside metalic colors) change their hues to the point they become different colors all together (purple becomes very faint baby blue) .. is this normal?

Totally normal..sadly..

In 2012 (I think) they started pushing towards this new (like 2013/14) appearance library to "attempt" to have unified color libraries across all Autodesk programs or some BS marketing crap like that.. To me its still an absolute cluster.. But in 2012 they started adding new options to the colors to have a "realistic" appearance option for each color.. So when you switch to realistic it loads a new color basically or more "features" are exposed for that color and it seems to mess with the lighting too.

I've had nothing but problems in the last few years trying to wrap my head around what needs to be done to get a more even transistion between regular shaded colors and realistic/raytraced appearances.. I just don't have enough time to sit down and play with it long enough before I get the "hey we need that rendering now".. Everytime I need to do a rendering now I shiver knowing that its a mess.. 

I can't seem to get lighting styles to work either as they should IMO and colors,etc.. are just a total mess still.

Then add the fact that Autodesk completely broken 2014 raytracing this year and said they couldn't fix it till 2015... I can't get an acceptable raytrace without white speckles all over it no matter what I try..

Then I tried showcase for a few rendering and it was amazingly simple and swore I'd never render another thing in Inventor beacuse Showcase works so fast,etc.. and then yesterday find out Showcase is going to be removed from the 2015 suites and boy am I still smoking mad...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 12 of 15
RoyRR

do you think I should give the showcase a go? i read few horror posts that it messed with display characteristics of the program and the entire color pallet looks differently after using it, one person said he even formatted and the effects persisted... meaning the assembly was edited to the new colors... i really can't allow this to happen since i need this done by Monday
Message 13 of 15
blair

Yes, with 2013 they have tried to unify the Appearances, unfortunately they ended up leaning towards the architectural finishes (really great for machine/equipment). I thought I saw a ADSK document that showed Showcase as still included (maybe I was dreaming)

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 14 of 15
CAG_DRAFT

when rotating a part do the graphics get better momentarily?
(I can't see your picture due to works firewall)
see here fora related issue... http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-General/gtx-660-anti-alias/td-p/3762852
Message 15 of 15
RoyRR
in reply to: CAG_DRAFT

the edges only get better at certain angles... so i guess you could argue that yes, but not momentary.. the hardware accelerated graphics workaround seems tempting but I doubt it will work for 300 piece assembly with coils... this only happens when zoomed out.. when zoomed in (all the way) black glitches appear (almost wire frame like)... playing with shadows and lights kinda improved the issue but i get often crashes which is annoying.. i think i will just PS it, finish and never touch this program again

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report