Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to import Mechanical Desktop 2009 files into Inventor 2012

29 REPLIES 29
SOLVED
Message 1 of 30
ks_cowboy
2776 Views, 29 Replies

how to import Mechanical Desktop 2009 files into Inventor 2012

Howdy yall,

I am havin some issues with importing .dwg files created in Autodesk Mechanical Desktop 2009 (mdt) into Inventor 2012. Here is what i am doing... (i used photobucket to upload the pics. If it dont work please let me know.)

#1. I find said .dwg, highlight it, click options, click import, click ok, and then click open.

#2. this window opens up...

I change "no saved configuration" to "default Mechanical Desktop configuration" and hit next

#3. then it changes to this...

Then i hit next

#4. then it changes to this...

then i hit next

#5. then that window closes and i get this popup...

What am i doing wrong? It worked when i had Inventor 2011, but then i had some computer issues, and had to reistall windows 7 (hard drive issues) and all of my programs. I didnt install Inventor 2011 initally, so i dont know what settings was changed, or if there are any that need changed.

I will admit, i am not too well educated in the ways of MDT, so please dumb it down for me.

Thank Yall in advanced!

Frank

29 REPLIES 29
Message 21 of 30
ks_cowboy
in reply to: rdyson

Does this mean that i need to uninstall inventor 2012 then re install it?  I was told that i needed to have inventor 2012 or 2011 installed before i could install mdt2009, so that it would have the mdt installer.  Would it hurt anything if i removed all of the autodesk 2011 programs from my computer? 

Message 22 of 30
rdyson
in reply to: ks_cowboy

No expert, so use any advice from me at your own risk.

I've recently installed IV 2012 on a new computer with no other Adesk software installed (Win 7 - 64)

I then downloaded and installed MDT 2009.

Importing MDT file into IV is working for me.

First thing I would do is see if MDT opens and will open files

If it won't open then I'd run a repair from Add/Remove

If it still won't open, then I'd un-install and re-install

PDSU 2016
Message 23 of 30
ks_cowboy

Both MDT '09 and Inventor 2012 start.  they both open their respective files.  heck inventor will "open" mdt .dwg's but only into paper space, but it wont "import" mdt .dwg's and give me a 3d solid model. 

Message 24 of 30
rdyson

What happens if you start MDT with no dwg open before starting the import?

What happens if you start MDT with the dwg of interest open before starting the import?

What happens if you do the repair of MDT?

PDSU 2016
Message 25 of 30
ks_cowboy

"What happens if you start MDT with no dwg open before starting the import?"-rdyson

same thing as i initially posted.

" What happens if you start MDT with the dwg of interest open before starting the import? "-rdyson

Same thng as i had initially posted.

"What happens if you do the repair of MDT?"-rdyson

since my last post:

#1. i had removed inventor 2011, but only inventor 2011, none of the content centers or those things.  MDT still opens and functions normally.  Inventor still did the same thing as i had initally posted.

#2. I went into add/remove programs in windows, clicked on repair for mdt 2009 , and it gave me an option to add features, and one of them features was autodesk Inventor Link.  So i activated it, thinkin this is the problem.  not so much.  Now when i get to step #3, where it shows the wire frame of a part and the tabs, it is compleetly blank, i go on to step 4 and click ok, it doesnt crash or do anything now.  It just returns to the "get started" tab, like when ya open inventor. 

Next step is to actually repair/restore MDT2009.

Message 26 of 30
rdyson

Before uninstalling, see if you can open your MDT file in Trueview

PDSU 2016
Message 27 of 30
ks_cowboy

Ok, so I ran the repair program for MDT2009.  It did nothing. 

Here is an example of what i was describing in my previous post:

http://i1119.photobucket.com/albums/k626/f_vogel2003/automation%20plus/inventor_import-2_B.jpg

up at the top where i have step #3, it gives me this.  Notice there is no picture of what to import now.

then it does the same thing as step 4.  then what was step 5 looks like this now:

http://i1119.photobucket.com/albums/k626/f_vogel2003/automation%20plus/inventor_import-3-b.jpg

It does not crash inventor anymore, but it just goes to this. 

It started to do this since i activated Inventor Link.  Might have to figure out how to deactivate that.  Is there a plug-in for inventor for MDT files?  I know that there is one for .dwg files, but is there a MDT specific importer, cause it seems that mdt files are quite a bit different from standard .dwg's.

PS sorry if the pics dont work.

Message 28 of 30
jeffrey.sun

>>jeffrey now I’m really confused. This is the Readme file for the 2012 installer. (RayFeiler, Message 16 of 27)
    The old MDT 2009 installation package published in 2008 requires the Inventor 2009 installed. Originally I assumed this package was used. In this case, the install sequence should be Inventor 2009, MDT 2009, Inventor 2012.
    In the attached picture, I find you are using the new installation package. This package requires Inventor 2012 other than 2009. The install sequence should be Inventor 2012, MDT 2009.
    The underlying reason I stress the installation sequence is because when serveral inventor builds are installed on the same machine, there is the registry conflict issue.

>>Yes after I get that runtime error, Inventor does crash.  I dont know what CER means(ks_cowboy, Message 17 of 27 )
    The CER dialog means the dialog with the title "AutoCAD Inventor Error Report". See the attachment.

>> Does this mean that i need to uninstall inventor 2012 then re install it?  (ks_cowboy, Message 21 of 27)
    Before reinstallation, please try to use the command line "C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Inventor 2012\Bin\Inventor.exe /INSTALL" to register inventor. It will correct the registry conflict.

>> up at the top where i have step #3, it gives me this.  Notice there is no picture of what to import now.(ks_cowboy, Message 27 of 27)
    Generally this is because the registry information of True View 2012 is damaged. Restall True View 2012 can resolve this issue.

Frank, have you tried the command line "C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Inventor 2012\Bin\Inventor.exe /INSTALL"?

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jeffrey Sun
SW Engineer
Manufacturing Industry Group
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 29 of 30
Ray_Feiler
in reply to: jeffrey.sun

Thank you very much for the clarification Jeffrey. This will save me some time during installation. Smiley Very Happy

Product Design & Manufacturing Collection 2024
Sometimes you just need a good old reboot.
Message 30 of 30
ks_cowboy
in reply to: jeffrey.sun

That did the trick!  It is workin just fine now.  Thank You!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report