Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to I Move Extrusions/Square Holes?

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
Anonymous
5885 Views, 14 Replies

How to I Move Extrusions/Square Holes?

Hello,

I am new at using Autodesk Inventor Professional 2013 and I am currently trying to move some square holes that I made (using extrusions). How can  I move these around inside the main extrusion (called Extrusion 1 in the attached design) without changing any of the dimensions etc?

Is there a simple way of selecting them all and moving them, or do I have to do it one at a time?

Any help appriciated.

Fouad. 

Tags (1)
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
JDMather
in reply to: Anonymous

I would have used 1 sketch for that.

And use Equal (=) constraints so that you don't have to change so many dimensions (just 1 for each size).

Attached is an example.

It could be simplified more if all 2.5 would be edited together then only need one dimension (rather the 5, 7.5...)

Don't get carried away with too much in one sketch - start creating additional sketches but Project Geomtry to keep them all tied together or better yet, use the origin as the position reference for your dimensions.

I created the squares with Offset to make easy to dimension.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: JDMather

Thanks for your prompt reply, 

I see that you have used 1 sketch to create all of those holes, but I still don't get how to move them around? I am actually trying to create the attached pattern (with the black areas being holes).  In fore to create the all the features I need more space (hence I was going to try to move all the holes in the centre of the first Extrusion in my design). 

Fouad. 

Message 4 of 15
JDMather

You move by changing the position dimensions (2 dimensions).

There are other ways to Move a Feature, but the best way is to dimension.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 5 of 15
Anonymous

HI, could someone show me how to make square holes in INVENTOR 2015 PROFESSIONAL.

Cheers,

Cecil

Message 6 of 15
JDMather

Attach you *.ipt attempt here.

Message 7 of 15
mcgyvr

@Anonymous wrote:

HI, could someone show me how to make square holes in INVENTOR 2015 PROFESSIONAL.

Cheers,

Cecil

Sketch a square and extrude (if standard part) or cut (if sheet metal)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 8 of 15
Anonymous

See the attached screenshot.  You need dimensions in order to manipulate, move, adjust, etc... features.  The '8mm' in 'X' and 'Y' Direction in my screenshot are used to adjust the location of the squares.  Because I have constrained my sketch properly, all of the corresponding squares will move together and maintain proper shape, size, etc...

Aztec Help.jpg

Message 9 of 15
Anonymous

Hello,

I have seen a couple of examples but not the same as mine. How do I cut a square out of a tube? I added a screenshot

koker screenshot.png

Message 10 of 15
JDMather

@Anonymous wrote:

How do I cut a square out of a tube? I added a screenshot

I am not familiar with editing an image file in Inventor - can you attach your *.ipt file?

Does Extrude not work on your machine?

Your problem appears to be different than the topic of the thread - I would have started a new thread for this problem.

Attach your ipt file here.

Message 11 of 15
Anonymous

hello,

I will add my ,ipt file within a ffew hours.

Thanks for the reply!

Message 12 of 15
Anonymous

Hello JDMather,

Here is my .iam file, I also placed a cap on top of the tube. But I can't find a way to weld this... do you have a video or something for this?

greats

Message 13 of 15
JDMather

An assembly file (*.iam) is only a list of local hyperlinks to the part files (*.ipt) and a record of assembly constraints (and a bit more).

You must include the part files.

Message 14 of 15
Anonymous

You mean this one?

Message 15 of 15
JDMather

@Anonymous wrote:
 .....do you have a video or something for this?

Are you having trouble Extrude - Cut of a rectangular sketch?

Have you gone through these Tutorials?

Tutorials.png

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report