Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to get the ends of the coil to meet each end

16 REPLIES 16
Message 1 of 17
James__S
1128 Views, 16 Replies

how to get the ends of the coil to meet each end

Hi

Not sure i have used correct modelling technique here but can the ends of the Coil join each section which looks natural.I have not been able to get the ends to smoothly join with the coil feature

Best Regards

James

16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
JoAnn_Hogan
in reply to: James__S

Your part gives me errors when I try to open it up. Please suppress the feature thats got the error and resend the file so I could look at the part

If this post solved your issue please mark as solved and Kudos are always welcome 😃

Jo - Ann
Twitter: @JoAnn_Hogan
Revit Architecture Certified Professional / Revit Structure Certified Professional / AutoCAD Certified Professional
Message 3 of 17
James__S
in reply to: JoAnn_Hogan

Thanking you...i rolled up the EOP.....please let me know if this still does not work

Message 4 of 17
JoAnn_Hogan

Are you looking for something like this?

If this post solved your issue please mark as solved and Kudos are always welcome 😃

Jo - Ann
Revit Architecture Certified Professional / Revit Structure Certified Professional / AutoCAD Certified Professional
Message 5 of 17
JoAnn_Hogan

Sorry I forgot the Attachment. I moved the EOP up

Jo - Ann
Message 6 of 17
James__S

Hi

Yes thank you close.Can the Coil where they start at each end run along the edge.There is a sketch in black which shows how each end starts.Not have the ends of the coil revolving into towards the centre at the start

Thanks

Message 7 of 17
JoAnn_Hogan

This is the closest I could get it.

Jo - Ann
Message 8 of 17
James__S

thank you

It would be difficult to get it closer to the edge...thank you for help

Message 9 of 17
graemev

How about exactly on the edge?  Take a good look at the sketch for the coil, the last extrusion, and the model parameters to see how to get an exact fit.

Message 10 of 17
James__S

Thanks...can the start of the coil also run on the edge...not sure if possible but i was not successful

Thanks

Message 11 of 17
graemev

@James__S wrote:

Thanks...can the start of the coil also run on the edge...not sure if possible but i was not successful

Thanks

Quite probably, but that's getting a bit beyond me.

J. D. Mather may be a better resource for surface modelling like that.

Message 12 of 17
James__S
in reply to: graemev

Surface modelling will be needed to create this shape.I too unfortunately don`t know how to surface model....maybe the shape is not possible

Cheers

Message 13 of 17
JDMather

James__S wrote:..
....maybe the shape is not possible

Cheers

Wrong attitude to approach the problem.

If you had a block of clay in front of you - could you sculpt the geometry?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 14 of 17
JDMather
in reply to: JDMather

The second question would be, "How will you manufacture the geometry if you can sculpt it?"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 15 of 17
James__S
in reply to: JDMather

I would think a mold for this plastic part.

Thanks

Message 16 of 17
VdVeek

You can use a Lofted "Revolve" for the last part where you start with a round matching the end of the coil and end with an elipse with a width of the coil and a height of almost zero. See the attached ipt for an example.

Rob.

Autodesk Inventor 2015 Certified Professional & Autodesk Inventor 2012 Certified Professional.
Message 17 of 17
James__S
in reply to: graemev

Thanks Rob

Good example

Cheers

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report