Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Export Inventor to Catia and retain the same file structure?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
8288 Views, 5 Replies

How to Export Inventor to Catia and retain the same file structure?

We save our files in the same folder, be it the assembly level, part level, or drawing level.

When I export an Inventor assembly to Catia format, the end result is a CATProduct and a new folder with all of the Catia files necessary for that top level assembly.
Prior to opening the CATProduct in Catia, I can go into a windows explorer window and drag those files out/up one level to the same directory as the top level assembly, and Catia resolves any link problems on it's own. But this is one step that seems like you should be able to get around.

How do I tell Inventor to stop creating this folder and simply save the files in the same directory as the top level assembly?

Thanks in advance.
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Version??
2009 or 2010?

If I do a Save Copy As in 2010, the CATpart is saved in the same folder. See
attached.

--
Dennis Jeffrey, Autodesk Inventor Certified Expert
Autodesk Manufacturing Implementation Certified Expert.
Instructor/Author/Sr. App Engr. Tel. (260) 399-6615
AIP 2008 SP3, AIP 2009-SP2, IV2010 ProPcCillin AV
AMD 64 x2 3.0 Ghz, 8GB RAM GeForce 9800GT 512MB
XP Pro SP3, XP Pro64 SP2, Windows XP Silver Theme
http://teknigroup.com
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous

Dennis,

To my understanding, 2009 only opens Catia. It doesn't export to Catia. This is 2010 I'm talking about.

You appear to only be exporting a single Inventor part file to a Catia CATPart file. I'm talking about an assembly (product) of Inventor files exported to a Catia CATProduct and subsequent CATParts. Inventor will save the CATProduct in the same directory as the Inventor assembly, but the subsequent CATParts get stored in a folder that it creates during the export. I want it to stop creating that folder and just save the parts next to the assembly, the same way the Inventor files are saved.

See attached.
Message 4 of 6
ChrisPan01

This is as design for Catia export. There is no way to export Catia assembly to one folder. You can copy the top assembly to the new created folder where parts are.

Best Regards,
Jin Pan
Autodesk Inventor Translator
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: ChrisPan01

Hi there,

I would like to open a Autodesk Inventor part with CATIA V5R19 but unfortunately I don't know how to do it. It is quite urgent so if someone has a suggestion it would be very nice.

Thanks a lot

Message 6 of 6
rdyson

If you have Inventor, simply Save Copy As .catpart
If you don't have Inventor, you should probably be asking in a Catia forum

PDSU 2016

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report