Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to export a feature or solid from an IPT to a new IPT?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
BeKirra
1432 Views, 7 Replies

How to export a feature or solid from an IPT to a new IPT?

When I right-click a solid under "solid bodies" in the blowser in an IPT, I can export the solid.

But I don't understand this function.

I am wondering that if I can export a solid or even an extrusion feature to a new IPT - so I can save it as a new file.

Can it be done?

Thanks for your help.

Please mark "Accept as Solution" and "Like" if my reply resolves the issue and it will help when others need helps.
= ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ =
A circle is the locus of a cursor, starting and ending at the same point on a plane in model space or in layout such that its distance from a given coordinates (X,Y) is always constant.
X² + Y² = C²
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
JDMather
in reply to: BeKirra

This tutorial demonstrates a use of multi-body solids/

http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/content/DSG322/Inventor%20Tutorials/Inventor%202011%20Tutorial%2014.pdf

For "export" of features - look into iFeatures in the Help and Tutorials.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 8
johnsonshiue

Hi! I think there is a naming overlap here. The Export in this case is about derivable object control. When a derivable object (sketch, surface body, solid body, parameter, and so on) is marked as Exported, it means the object can be derived and will be included by default, This is not about exporting a body to a file.

Regarding the workflow you are looking for, do you want to make a copy of a set of features and paste it to a new part? If yes, you might want to try Copy and Paste or iFeature.

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 4 of 8
BeKirra
in reply to: JDMather

Thanks and your tutorial is helpful.

One more question:

I noticed that there are 2 functions, "Make Part" and "Make Component" under Manage tab.

I can't see any difference between them when using.

When to use "Make Part" or "Make Component"?

Please mark "Accept as Solution" and "Like" if my reply resolves the issue and it will help when others need helps.
= ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ =
A circle is the locus of a cursor, starting and ending at the same point on a plane in model space or in layout such that its distance from a given coordinates (X,Y) is always constant.
X² + Y² = C²
Message 5 of 8
BeKirra
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Thanks. It works.

X² + Y² = C²
Message 6 of 8
JDMather

@BeKirra wrote:

I can't see any difference between them when using.

When to use "Make Part" or "Make Component"?

You should see a difference if you have multi-body solid?

Parts are individual parts.

Components are parts that have been placed in an assembly.

Make Part pushes out a part, while Make Components pushes out Part(s) AND places in an assembly as well.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 7 of 8
BeKirra
in reply to: JDMather

I worked out. Thanks.

Another question:

When a "Part" is made, how can I remove the green arrows from the source IPT as showed below?

TIA

How to remove the green arrows.jpg

X² + Y² = C²
Message 8 of 8
BeKirra

I worked out again.

The case is closed, finally.

Thanks for your helps.

X² + Y² = C²

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report