Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to draw a Boss-to-Base gusset

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
rickduley
934 Views, 7 Replies

How to draw a Boss-to-Base gusset

How do I create a gusset between the Boss and the Base Plate, on the centreline, between the bolt holes?

If you shift the End of Part marker you can see how I did it, but it is a long and involved process.  

I have a memory of seeing an Inventor way of doing the job in some text I was reading when I started working with Inventor but now, when I need it, I can't find it.  I cannot even remember what the tool was called.  Smiley Frustrated

Would someone please help me out?

Thanks

Tags (1)
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
IgorMir
in reply to: rickduley

Hi Rick,

Can't open your file  but from the description I gathered - you are after "Rib" tool. Here is a part for you to look at.

Cheers,

Igor.

Web: www.meqc.com.au
Message 3 of 8
JDMather

See attached.  (I made other changes as well - make sure you can reproduce from scratch.)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 4 of 8
rickduley
in reply to: JDMather

Now you both have me confused.  It seems the harder I try the confuseder I get.

I have tried everything I can think of to get these two to work.  I have tried putting tails on the Gusset Line as JD does, I have tried completing the loop in each case, I have tried them as they are shown in the IPTs attached.  No luck!  Smiley Frustrated

I must be getting dumber as I get older, but I just can't see how this works.

I hope one of you won't mind doing a step-by-step for me.  It will certainly be appreciated.

Thanks

Message 5 of 8
rickduley

Just for the record, I can get Extrude to recognize where I want to put a gusset.

_Symmetric_Extrude_Gusset.jpg

It's just that Rib doesn't pay it any attention.  Of course, accepting this extrusion creates problems if I try to fillet the the Gusset-to-Boss join.

Message 6 of 8
IgorMir

Well, if 'Rib' doesn't work (for whatever reason) then try another approach. Here is an example.

Cheers,

Igor.

Web: www.meqc.com.au
Message 7 of 8
JDMather

Did you get your magic decoder ring for Inventor?

One Column Rib.png

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 8 of 8
rickduley
in reply to: JDMather

Bingo!

Thanks JD.

As for decoder rings, 'fraid I'm still battling with "Swish and Flick!"

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report