Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to do dynamic analysis on two gears? (Problem of insert joint part)

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
751 Views, 3 Replies

How to do dynamic analysis on two gears? (Problem of insert joint part)

I am creating my first very simple gears for learning dynamic analysis. I followed a youtube video to create two gears, then I try to run the analysis. When I create a cylinder-to-cylinder joint, it asks for the cylinders (which are the gears) and the origins of those gears. I can set the gears easily, but I cannot set the origins. Please help. I attached the assembly file here.

One more thing, my final goal is to create a pawn and ratchet gear pair and do analysis on the material when there is IMPACT (Suddenly brake) by the stopping of pawn. If anyone have information for that, please provide to me too.

Thanks Smiley Wink

Tags (3)
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
JDMather
in reply to: Anonymous

An assembly without parts is useless.  Might be useful to go through the basic tutorials before moving on to DS.

The pitch circles can be used to extrude cylindrical surfaces (if not already in the part).

Use these cylinders for the joints and the end circles for the origins.

You might search Amazon for book by Wasim Younis and also there are a couple of built in Tutorials in Inventor, one of which I think uses gears (even though the mechanism is pure garbage).

I don't think you will be able to analyze impact forces in Inventor.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous

Thanks for your reply. Since I am new to Inventor, would you please give me a clear guide.

"An assembly without parts is useless."

You say my assembly has no part. Do you mean that you see two gears but no other component? Do you mean I need to mount them on shafts before running any analysis?

I use Inventor design accelerator, (to my very limited knowledge) which is only avaialbe in the assembly enviorment, to create those two gears. The gears do not have any shaft holes. If so, how I can create those holes to mount?

"The pitch circles can be used to extrude cylindrical surfaces (if not already in the part)."

When I use the design accelerator, it asked for the gear face width. I put it as 1". Did I do it wrong?

"Use these cylinders for the joints and the end circles for the origins."

I set compinent1>cylinder1 as face of gear1 and compinent2>cylinder2 as face of gear2. What do you mean of end circles for the origins?Do you mean set the end of gears tooth as origins? I tried but do not work

Message 4 of 4
JDMather

An assembly file (*.iam) is simply a list of hyperlinks to the part files (*.ipt) and a record of assembly constraints.

I recommend you go through the built in Help>Learning Tools>Tutorials.

What book are you using to learn Inventor?  (Inventor is a professional program and deserves (requires?) a professional level of preparation.  Dynamic Simulation is an advanced topic within Inventor and deserves (requires?) a couple of years of basic experience before moving on to advanced topic.)

More here

http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com/p/inventor-tutorials.html

and here

http://au.autodesk.com

and here

http://www.autodesk.com/edcommunity

and search for Wasim Younis book here http://www.amazon.com

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report