Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to disable reflections and gradients in shaded views

23 REPLIES 23
SOLVED
Message 1 of 24
Daniela_Koloszko
21224 Views, 23 Replies

How to disable reflections and gradients in shaded views

You would like to have an option to disable reflections in the shaded views that you create.

Answer 

We introduced from Inventor 2010 support for disabling reflections in drawings. In order to do this, users need to add DWORD registry key named "Suppress Specular Color" with value greater than zero under the following registry key.

Note:

Prior to creating this registry key, you need to have the following hotfix installed for Inventor 2010:

http://usa.autodesk.com/getdoc/id=DL15338178

For Inventor 2011, you need to have SP1 installed.

Open the system registry and locate the following registry keys listed below (Start > Run > RegEdit):

1. Inventor 2010

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Autodesk\Inventor\RegistryVersion14.0\Applets\DrawingLayout\Preferences\]

Create a key with this value:

"Suppress Specular Color"=dword:00000001

2. Inventor 2011

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Autodesk\Inventor\RegistryVersion15.0\Applets\DrawingLayout\Preferences\]

If the key is not present or its value is zero or less, then reflections are enabled under drawings (Default behavior).

Note: The key is read only once per Inventor session -  after adding the key or changing its value,  users need to restart the Inventor session.

Please find attached as well the registry files for both Inventor versions. By double clicking the appropriate registry file, you can automatically create in your registry the key, as explained above.

Daniela Koloszko

23 REPLIES 23
Message 2 of 24
mcgyvr
in reply to: Daniela_Koloszko

EXCELLENT!!!!!!!

Works perfect on 2011 Sp1...

Just in time too. I'm about to create hundreds of shaded IDW files for all our new products. I hated the reflections.

Thank you Autodesk. (and Daniela)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 24
DRudaz

Hi,

And for the 2012 versions ?

Regards

Dom

Message 4 of 24
Daniela_Koloszko
in reply to: DRudaz

The solution for Inventor 2012 is the same:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Autodesk\Inventor\RegistryVersion16.0\Applets\DrawingLayout\Preferences\]

If the key is not present or its value is zero or less, then reflections are enabled under drawings (Default behavior).

Daniela Koloszko

Message 5 of 24
DRudaz

Hi Daniela,

I'm happy to read you.

But I have tried this registry key, but there is no effect.

Regards

Dom

Message 6 of 24
DRudaz

Hi,

Just a screenshot. I have made test on inventor 2011 SP1 and the result is the same with Inventot 2012 SP1.

Regards,

Dom

Message 7 of 24
Daniela_Koloszko

I did a test in Inventor 2012 SP1 and it works. Please see attached images and also the registry fix which I have added for your convenience. You just need to double click it in your machine and the registry key will be automatically created for version 2012.

Daniela Koloszko

Message 8 of 24
DRudaz

Maybe is another problem. I send you my part and drawing.

For information I have a French version.

Message 9 of 24

Hi,

I've tried this several times with no luck on 2012.  I've attached a screen shot of my registry files.

Thanks

Brian

Message 10 of 24

Could you attach an example, a part and drawing with reflection?

Daniela Koloszko

Message 11 of 24

Attached

Thanks!

Brian

Message 12 of 24

Sorry.  I attached the wrong file.

Brian

Message 13 of 24

The drawing registry setting is disabling technique which simulates reflections from a light source. The attached part of 'Stainless steel' material is simulating 'totally lustrous' material (like a mirror) by rendering a reflection of an image of the ambient environment. In this case, you can always override body color to one which is not lustruos.  If you want a more generic reflective image in the part/drawing,  you can select Application Options->Color->ReflectiveEnvironment->Filename:Chrome.dds: For this particular example, the registry setting will not work.

Daniela Koloszko

Message 14 of 24
chrisyao

Is there a solution also for Inventor 2013?

I've tried to add the key in

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Autodesk\Inventor\RegistryVersion17.0\Applets\DrawingLayout\Preferences\

But it doesn't work.

Kindly help.

Thanks a lot.

Chris

Message 15 of 24
mperez
in reply to: bscioscia

Same problem here. Tried the registry fix in Inventor 2013, but no luck.

Please Help

Message 16 of 24

We have tested the option on Inventor 2013 and seems the registry setting works fine. However, after replacing the Inventor Color Styles by Appearances,  the option does not have any effect as the IDW showed without reflections regardless this option. There are many changes in Inventor 2013 about materials and appearences, so there may be reflections removed for different appearences or could be dataset related only. 

Can you post a part where you could not get the reflections removed?

Daniela Koloszko

Message 17 of 24
chrisyao

Here is my example. The attachments are,

regedit.jpg  : screenshot of regedit

testdwg.jpg  : screenshot of test.dwg

test.ipt

test.dwg

Thanks

Chris

P.S. Ours are Traditional Chinese version in Taiwan.

Message 18 of 24
chrisyao

Here is the last attachment,

test.dwg

Best regards,

Chris

Message 19 of 24
Daniela_Koloszko
in reply to: chrisyao

The material used in your example is a polished material. Inventor shows reflections of the ambient environment. It's not related to specular color setting. Please see my post above, explaining similar example. In this case,  the specular color setting does not have effect.

Daniela Koloszko

Message 20 of 24

Hi.

The registry edit had an effect on the appearance of my sticker with Inventor 2013.

However, I get a kind of light grey instead of the white that is set on the ipt.

Changing or modify the lighting styles has no effect at all.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report