Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to disable F1 button "help"

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
Anonymous
5022 Views, 14 Replies

How to disable F1 button "help"

How to disable F1 button in Autodesk Inventor 2014?

I use ESC many times and it happens too often when i press F1 instead of ESC and then the whole help opens (either from hard drive or it opens my internet browser and loads up a page), its really annoying.

I tried in. "Tools" > "Customize" > "Keyboard" and sorted it with "key" but there is no F1 there.

Also i changed category to "help" and to my suprise there is not a single key assigned to any of help command.

Then why still F1 opens help and makes my life harder than its already?

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
Cadmanto
in reply to: Anonymous

I would be careful with this request. understand that F1 is universally known in a lot of programs, not just Inventor for the help function.

Take a look at these links.

http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?21026-disable-f1-from-opening-help

http://ketiv.com/support/tech-tips/disabling-f1-key-from-opening-help

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 3 of 15
CCarreiras
in reply to: Cadmanto

Hi!!!

If I had this problem, maybe I'll buy a different keyboard, or perhaps removing the button "physically"!!! ... why not?!! if I was upset!

And this is my "low tech solution" Smiley Happy

Regards.

CCarreiras

EESignature

Message 4 of 15
mrattray

I recommend listening to relaxing music while you work, to keep down the keyboard thrashes.
Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 5 of 15
Cadmanto
in reply to: CCarreiras

I know my biggest issue with the F1 key is not being close to the Esc key, but rather the F2 key.  When I intend to hit the F2 key to rename something I sometimes hit F1 instead.  Regardless of what program I am in.  I guess we all need to sharpen our fingers so that the fat finger rule doesn't apply!!!  Smiley Very Happy

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 6 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: Cadmanto

I was thinking if there is a in program way to just disable it or switch "help" button to something far away from escape key just in inventor.

Message 7 of 15
Cadmanto

I know I saw some threads that seem to point in that direction when it comes to Autocad, but not Inventor.

Where in Autocad you can redirect the F1 key.  If you do a google search for "Disabling the F1 key in Inventor", you will see the same threads I did pertaining to Autocad.  Look at them.  Maybe you can find some value in them.

New EE Logo.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 8 of 15
peter2010

Why is F1, the MOST DISRUPTIVE command with a pop up is located right beside the MOST USED button?!

If help is needed, we use Google as it is a superior search engineer with multiple results like video, blogs, and various other sources.  I've rarely, if ever, used Autodesk help search.  

Message 9 of 15
Pola_S
in reply to: peter2010

Sounds like you need something like this 😁  (no affiliation)

Message 10 of 15
emanuel.c
in reply to: peter2010

I totally agree with you.

I've NEVER used F1, can't remember even once, by choice anyway. An online search through forums etc. is typically much quicker and better than F1. I used to accidentally tap the crazy F1 (very often in Inventor since I use it a lot here) so many times and it was very frustrating. Using 2 screens you can't just hit a CTRL+W or ALT+F4 but must get over to the browser to close the help page. I don't think F2 has ever been a problem for me.

On my Logitech keyboard at work I have remapped F1 to be ESC through the Logitech Gaming software and that's a blessing. However I don't have that with the DasKeyboard at home, but I use a little software, SharpKeys (at randyrants.com) to do the same thing, though at the registry level. I highly recommend it! No need to physically alter the keyboard. You need to logout or restart windows to take effect, from then on you should be fine.

Message 11 of 15
kimK7B54
in reply to: CCarreiras

You just look ridiculous providing that as a solution to a serious and commonly problematic issue.

Message 12 of 15
kimK7B54
in reply to: mrattray

Not very helpful.

Message 13 of 15
tadek.jezier

SOLVED: If you have given up looking for some software solution, there is a hardware one for you instead:

s1.JPG

s2.JPG

Message 14 of 15
NigelHay
in reply to: tadek.jezier

That is brilliant. As my typing skills are akin to hitting the keyboard with a bunch of bananas, I might invest in one of those.
Message 15 of 15

You could use AHK software (Free opensource) to remap any key to anything.

Also useful for writing custom macros.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report