Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to delete lines in AutoCAD?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
Squawk
3300 Views, 7 Replies

How to delete lines in AutoCAD?

I have always used Inventor 2012 and AutoCAD Mechanical that came with it.

Recently I had to make a AutoCAD drawing from an Inventor part. Before that I never used AutoCAD Mechanical.

When I wanted to delete lines and things in AutoCAD Mechanical, I would just click on them and press delete. They would delete.

Now I registred for a free trial of Inventor 2015 and AutoCAD 2014 and now I am completely unable to find how to delete lines and things in a AutoCAD drawing (made from an Inventor part).

I've attached a screenshot.

How can I delete the dotted line?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
JDMather
in reply to: Squawk

When you run List command - what does AutoCAD return as the entity type?

Is the geometry in model space or in paper space?

What Layers do you have?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 8
Squawk
in reply to: JDMather

Thank you for your reply JD Mather!

I have absolutely no clue of what you're talking about..

What I just did find out is that when I open my old AutoCAD Mechanical created AutoCAD file, it shows in the new AutoCAD 2015 only on a sheet AND a model tab.

When I open my new Inventor 2014 created AutoCAD file, it only shows in a sheet, but the model tab is empty..

I attached the dwg file created from Autodesk Inventor 2014 and saved in AutoCAd 2015.

The second attachment is the dwg file created from Autodesk Inventor 2012 and saved in AutoCAD Mechanical 2012.

I can still delete things with AutoCAD 2014 in the second file, where it also shows in the model sheet..

Message 4 of 8
JDMather
in reply to: Squawk

@Squawk wrote:

I attached the dwg file created from Autodesk Inventor 2014 and saved in AutoCAd 2015.

In your initial post you indicate AutoCAD 2014 and Inventor 2015.

I am confused about what software you are using?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 5 of 8
JDMather

Does turning off the Hidden line layer give you what you need?

Hidden Lines Layer.png

Message 6 of 8
Squawk

The second attachment "Layer 4 @ 5 cm.dwg" was like this:

Autodesk Inventor part, created a dwg file from that part and opened up in Autodesk AutoCAD Mechanical and exported as AutoCAD 2010 dwg file.

The first attachment "Layer 4 @ 5 cm #2.dwg" was like this:

Autodesk Inventor part, opened in Autodesk Inventor 2014, created a dwg file from that part and opened up in Autodesk AutoCAD Mechanical 2015.

There the problems started..

Only the sheet tab shows the drawing. The model tab not.

I could only delete lines and things (like the dotted line in my first posting) in the model tab. But for some reason, it doesn't show there now.

I cannot delete anything in the sheet tab.

Message 7 of 8
Squawk

Maybe there is something else I'm doing wrong, or different from the last time..

When I have the Inventor part, I use "new file" then choose "DIN DWG" and I get this yellow sheet on a new tab.

I change "edit sheet" and make it A2 size, so my drawing will fit.

Then I select "base view" and put down the ipt drawing into this yellow DIN DWG sheet.

After that I choose "export to DWG" and choose "AutoCAD DWG Files".

Then I open it in AutoCAD 2015 and I only see it in the "sheet" tab, but not in the "model" tab.

In the "model" tab is where I used to delete lines (in my case the dotted line) and used the "pe" command to convert the shapes to polylines.

This is what I can't do now because I don't see it in the "model" sheet.

Strange thing is though, when I open an old file saved a few months ago in AutoCAD Mechanical 2012, it does show in the model tab in AutoCAD 2014.

Do you know where I go wrong?

Message 8 of 8
Squawk

I don't understand..

I followed the same steps as above.. except I choose "ISO DWG".

Now it works the same as it did a few months ago.. I can delete, change to polylines, etc..

Obviously I know barely enough (and sometimes not even that) to get done what I try.. but it makes no sense to me why ISO DWG has a completely different effect than DIN DWG...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report