Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to delete a Pivot Point

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
divingdoug
5083 Views, 6 Replies

How to delete a Pivot Point

Somehow or another, a Pivot Point got created that is used when I use the ViewCube to rotate the part or set a view orientation.  Problem is, it is about 3 miles from my assembly so that all I see is a dot on the screen that is my work.  I can spend a few minutes zooming in just to see it all go away if I change view oriention or rotate the view again.

One, how do these Pivot Points get created so I can make sure to not do it again and Two, how do I get rid of it. (and Three, is there a setting I can change so I can keep it from happening)

It appears to have been set to the default as I can select geometery on my model to rotate around but as soon as that is cleared and I use the V/C again, back to the distant view it goes.

thanks....

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
JDMather
in reply to: divingdoug

Are you sure you don't have a floater?  (can you attach the assembly here)

Go into the Orbit command and do a long left click where you want your pivot point.

Edit:  Well after experimenting - that only seems to work during Orbit.

I'll wager that you have either a floater or an imported part with an incorrect bounding box in your assembly.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 7
divingdoug
in reply to: JDMather

Not sure what a 'Floater' is in this context.  Tried setting a new point as you suggested to no avail.   Zip of assy files and part files attached.

Thanks....

Message 4 of 7
Ryan.Martinez

Your assembly is missing 4 parts but i am not experiencing the problem you're having with the parts provided.
P.D.S. 2015
P.D.S. 2016
Message 5 of 7
divingdoug
in reply to: Ryan.Martinez

Interesting.  Based on that, I suppressed the sub-assy that contains the four parts you would have been missing and the aberrant view point went away as well. When I unsuppressed the sub-assy, the behavior returned.  So I opened that sub-assy but it has no issues, rotating and setting views as expected.

Am including the missing stuff here,

I hav even closed IV entirely and opened it again to no avail.   Even if I can select another point to rotate around, when I clear the selection and rotate with the V/C, it uses the out in space pivot point.

No way to delete it?

Message 6 of 7
divingdoug

Found it.  One of my smaller components (not in the sub assy attached to the previous post) had become unconstrained and got moved six miles out.  That caused the central pivot point to be located 3 miles out.

Not clear how this happened, I wasn't doing anything even remotely related to that component.  For it to lose it's contraints and shift position that much is . .   Well, I'm not really sure what it is.

Any way, problem solved.

Thanks....

Message 7 of 7
JDMather

@divingdoug wrote:

One of my smaller components ... had become unconstrained and got moved six miles out.  ...

A floater.  Floating in space - well away from the rest of the assembly.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report