Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Crimp or Crush conduit, pipe or tube?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
JimStrenk
2406 Views, 2 Replies

How to Crimp or Crush conduit, pipe or tube?

I'm contemplating creating a put-together and take-apart frame using conduit, or pipe or tube.  After specifying member length, I wish to crimp or crush each member a specific length, fillet the member ends so that they are completely round, and then places holes that are concentric to the filleted ends or other locations within the "flat" area of the conduit, or pipe or tube.

How do I model such members to follow the specifications above?

How would I crimp members at locations other than the ends?

I'll be using Autodesk Product Design Suite 2012 Ultimate.

Any tips, suggestions or errata would be most welcomed!

Jim Strenk

Inventor 2012 Certified Associate
AutoCAD 2012 Certified Associate

Product Design Suite Ultimate 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015,2016, 2017

Other than THAT, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play??
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
dave.anderson
in reply to: JimStrenk

I suspect you are looking to keep the geometry in place and overlap the crimped ends over a crossing pipe, using the hole to fasten them together.

Since Inventor cannot model material deformation, you'll needed to represent this type of geometry by modeling it. You can add it to the frame or remove it from the frame.

Unfortunately, what you are looking for is not part of native Frame Generator. The frame member placement is all based off of a centerline. You can position the member on specific points relative to the entire centerline but could not start in the middle then end as tangent like you'd need.

You could make a skeleton and sweep geometry as needed, and then create and use an iFeature to represent the crimped ends.

Dave Anderson
Sr. Support Engineer– CAM
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 3 of 3
SBix26
in reply to: JimStrenk

Try searching the forum-- JD Mather has posted examples several times.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report