Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to create fish scale checkering in Inventor?

17 REPLIES 17
SOLVED
Message 1 of 18
Anonymous
4450 Views, 17 Replies

How to create fish scale checkering in Inventor?

Hello all,  I have been pretty interested in creating fish scale checkering around a cylinder.  Having a pretty rough time figuring out how to get it done without half a million sketches, planes, and lofts.  The radius of my desired scales are .125 and the cylinder has a 2 inch diameter and 8 inches long.  I can get some pretty wicked looking engravings with the emboss tool but I'm really hoping I can make it super fancy like the engraving in the stock. 

17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
JDMather
in reply to: Anonymous

I would use a "curve driven pattern" rather than a half million sketches, planes and lofts.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 18
mpatchus

The easiest method is to create a color style.

Do a search on the web for "SEAMLESS FISH SCALES" and you will find plenty of images that are available.

Create the color style and use the image as the TEXTURE (and apply the same image as the BUMP MAP if desired.

Fishscales1.JPG

You should get something like this.  Adjust the scale and rotation of the texture to get the desired result.

Fishscales2.JPG

Mike Patchus - Lancaster SC

Inventor 2025 Beta

Alienware m17, Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-10980HK CPU @ 2.40GHz 3.10 GHz, Win 11, 64gb RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Super

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below. 🙂
Message 4 of 18
Anonymous
in reply to: mpatchus

Thats pretty cool, but I'm going for a printable part more than a facade.  Thanks for your time and input though.

Message 5 of 18
Anonymous
in reply to: JDMather

Ugh.  Some reason I always forget that you can pattern shapes.  Its shaping up nicely.

Message 6 of 18
freegoodkharma

That sounded kind of fun. I always forget the workflow to derive one part from another.  Gota love fish scales carved on a shotgun stock.

Message 7 of 18

A coilA coilA coil projected with 3D sketch onto plane(surface of bottle)A coil projected with 3D sketch onto plane(surface of bottle)first fish scalefirst fish scaleusing curve (projected coil) driven patternusing curve (projected coil) driven patternresultresult

Hello, I am sorry for a lot of this pictures (and for my English too). I have a problem with creating a bottle covered with fish scales. (on pic. below)

expected resultsexpected results

I have tried almost everything and also to use curve driven patter. As you can see above it didn´t work very well and I can´t find what´s the problem. I´ll be glad for any comments and ideas!

Thanks, Martina

Message 8 of 18

Hi! I suspect this has something to do with the normal vector along the curve. Curve Driven Pattern only has limited orientation control. For this case to work correctly, it would require the scale piece to orient based on the surface normal direction. Unfortunately, such control is not available yet.

I am wondering if you could use Sketch Driven Pattern (based on sketch points on the face). Let me experiment with it and see if it works.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 9 of 18

I have tried to using Sketch driven pattern, but it has not looked like the requirement. See below.  Martinasketch driven pattern 1.PNGsketch driven pattern 2.PNG

Message 10 of 18

Hi! Could you share the file here or send it to me? There might be a better workflow to use. Without seeing the file, we can only speculate.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 11 of 18
Anonymous
in reply to: martina.zborilova

Can you tell how to do the same like fish scales in solidworks?? 

Message 12 of 18
Anonymous

Can you tell me how to do the same like fish scales in solidworks?

Message 13 of 18
martina.zborilova

Hi, I would like to help you, but I do not have any experience with SolidWorks.

Martina

@Anonymous wrote:

Can you tell me how to do the same like fish scales in solidworks?

Message 14 of 18
TheCADWhisperer

You posted to a Solved thread?

Is this a SolidWorks question, or is this an Inventor question?

Message 15 of 18
Anonymous

Can you let me know anyone who can help me with solidworks ? Iam trying for
many days. Thank you for replying me.
Message 16 of 18

I am affraid, I can not tell you about anybody. We, as a designers, work just in inventor.

Message 17 of 18
Anonymous

Thank you so much for your help.
Message 18 of 18
IgorMir

Hi Martina,

It is an old thread and maybe by now you have got your model sorted. But just in case - here is a quick model for you to have a look at. It is just a very general one, but I hope - will give you some ideas. File is in IV2018 format.

Cheers,

Igor.

Web: www.meqc.com.au

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report