Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to create derived parts and it's idw?

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
Anonymous
360 Views, 14 Replies

How to create derived parts and it's idw?

So I don't have a problem with creating the derived part itself but I need to also create the idw as well. I really don't want to re-detail this part. The only difference between the original part and the new part is material and part number. Any suggestions?
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

I forgot to mention I'm using IV2009.
nikkyk
Message 3 of 15
ifuks

You don't need to derive. If you derive you will have to do your idw from scratch. In Inventor open original ipt and do save copy as. Give the copy new name. Close original ipt and open copy. Change properties in material and part number and save. Close file.
Go to windows explorer and make copy of the original idw. Rename copy with the new part number. Temporary rename original idw (lets say change extension to ".ip").
Back in Inventor open new idw. Inventor will complain and ask to find missing link. Browse to new ipt and double. Idw will open. Make any changes you want and save. Go back to windows and rename your ".ip" file back to ipt.

If ADSK allow substitutions in idw this would be easier.
Message 4 of 15
ifuks

Correction the line:

Temporary rename original idw (lets say change extension to ".ip"). should read:

Temporary rename original ipt (lets say change extension to ".ip").

Sorry
Message 5 of 15
Anonymous

But the problem with that is I need the new part to change when the original part changes. There is no link between copied models.
Message 6 of 15
ifuks

Look like you out of luck. If part is symmetrical you may be able to mirror the model. This worked for me in the past releases.
Message 7 of 15
ifuks

On the second thought you can also create i-part of your original model and have material and part number as part of the table. Then change your idw to add tab table.
Message 8 of 15
Anonymous

I don't know that sounds a little iffy. It seams like there should be a more direct way of accomplishing this.
Message 9 of 15
Anonymous

Actually, the above steps will work for derived parts with just one intermediate step.

1. In Inventor derive the ipt as normal. Then suppress the link to the original part. (suppress not break link)
2. Change properties in material and part number and save derived part.
3. Close file.
4. Go to windows explorer and make copy of the original idw.
5. Rename copy with the new part number. Temporary rename original ipt (lets say change extension to ".ip").
6. Back in Inventor open new idw. Inventor will complain and ask to find missing link. Browse to derived ipt and select it. Idw will open.
7. Make any changes you want and save.
8. Go back to windows and rename your ".ip" file back to ipt.
Message 10 of 15
ifuks

Great to know. Did not work for me before but I did not think of suppressing the link. Thanks for the tip.
Message 11 of 15
Anonymous

I have tried this before and it did not work but I didn't suppress the link. Where is this step?
Message 12 of 15
Anonymous

in the deerived part, right click on the part in the browser and choose "suppress. . . "

also Step 9 in the list should be, to go back and unsuppress the link so that the derived part will update.
Message 13 of 15
Anonymous

Holy crap it worked!! Thanks, this will save me a lot of time in the future.
Message 14 of 15
Anonymous

Did this work back in IV10? I can't seem to get it to match. I remember doing something similar in IV8, but have not had success in IV10. And yes I am suppressing the link, and IV complains it is a different "component" and won't link the idw.

Pete
Message 15 of 15
ifuks

I could not make it work in IV10 (back then I did not know about suppressing the link),

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report