Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to create a groove for a SNAP RING

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
98formulaLS1
4639 Views, 5 Replies

How to create a groove for a SNAP RING

I'm using Inventor 2008.

I have created a shaft already, and on each end of the shaft, I have created a gear. There are certain places in the middle of the shaft where I want to create a groove for a snap ring. It's like an o-ring, and the groove for both would be the same.

How can i create a groove, lets say 0.27" from one end of the shaft?
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
JDMather
in reply to: 98formulaLS1

Shaft Generator
or
Revolve - cut

Can you zip and attach what you have so far?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 6
smjanows

Or make a sketch on work plane perpendicular to the shaft axis, project the shaft OD, offset it, and extrude.

There is less to draw this way, but the revolve method does not require a work plane.

There are often multiple ways to achieve the same result. Based on what features or constraints you may need down the road, you can choose the method that best suits it. That is the beauty of a parametric solid modeler.
Message 4 of 6
smjanows

I'm guessing you are relatively new to solid modeling based on the original post so I'm going to ask a question and make a suggestion.

Did you create the shaft and gears as a single part (.ipt) or an assembly (.iam) of a shaft and 2 gears?

If it's a single part, I'd suggest making it an assembly. A shaft with a gear on each end as a single piece in the real world is not going to work so well in most applications and it is more difficult to manufacture. I can think of a mounting scheme that would work just fine (a journal bearing in a pillow block), which is why I say most not all applications. However, if you plan to install a rolling element bearing (it's no problem to do it on the computer model) I think you'll find some trouble installing it.

Try to think of the parts in terms of their real world counterparts when modeling with component / assembly capable software.
Message 5 of 6
JDMather

>...the revolve method ...
... you can choose the method that best suits...

I'm a machinist. I tend to model em like I make em. (or at least as much as possible)

>Try to think of the parts in terms of their real world counterparts when modeling...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 6 of 6
smjanows

I meant that in assembly terms, but I agree with you at the part level to some degree as well.

I try to model parts like they would be made when it also makes sense in terms of the modeling parameters / assembly / constraint placement / future editing process. It's a double edged sword to have multiple ways to model something.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report