Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to create a fixed length compound curve?

28 REPLIES 28
Message 1 of 29
Anonymous
2449 Views, 28 Replies

how to create a fixed length compound curve?

Its Friday afternoon and my heads not working.

I have had a look around and cant find anything so here goes.

I have a compound curve (quarter of an elipse) with a horizontal and vertical line tangent to each appropriate point. One end of the curve constrained to the origin. Now I want to move the other end around till I get the right shape. But the trick I cant get is making the curve stay the same length (2400mm) no matter the shape of the curve. Is there a way to do this?

Inventor 2010 suite
Win 7 Pro 64 bit

Intel Core i7 950 Nehalem 3.06GHz 8MB 1333MHz LGA1366
EVGA Intel X58 SLI Classified LGA1366 Motherboard
SuperTalent Chrome Series 12GB (6x2GB) DDR3-2000 CL9
EVGA nVidia Geforce GTX285 2GB PCI-E
Corsair HX1000 1000W Modular Power Supply
Prolimatech Megahalems CPU Cooler LGA1366 LGA775
2x Intel X25-M 80GB Mainstream SATA 2.5" Solid-State Drive
28 REPLIES 28
Message 2 of 29
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

can you send this file in a older version. I have 2008 version.

Thanks
Message 3 of 29
Anonymous

AFAIK you cannot control the total length of a polyline, you can just measure it.

i think you'll have to go with equations in parameters to try to bind your model to a certain length.

Cheers,
Message 4 of 29
JDMather

I haven't given this a try - but it might be an interesting experiment.

In Routed Systems you can set the length of a hose. Might be able to do a workaround to get what you need.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 5 of 29
Anonymous

some variation of this would probably do it.
Message 6 of 29
JDMather

>some variation of this would probably do it.

For a spline? Oh wait. If it is an ellipse there is probably a formula, but good luck.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 7 of 29
JDMather

>But the trick I cant get is making the curve stay the same length (2400mm)

Now I'm confused. Where are you getting the 2400mm from? Do you want to change the curve length to 2400?

>no matter the shape of the curve.

Will the curve always be a quarter ellipse? Wouldn't there be an infinite number of solutions?

Message 8 of 29
Anonymous

Hi All

Thanks for the responses. The 2400 comes from the length of plywood sheeting, the length of the curve as it was in my sketch was where I had left it after playing around with it. The purpose of this particular experiment was to just play around with the curve for a luanch ramp (dirt jumping style, very high 'air' not to much distance) I've been asked to design (plywood waterjet cut fitting together all nicely) untill it looked 'right' while keeping it the length of a peice of plywood, not even sure if an elipse is the right shape certainly a simple curve would be easier. I have come across this need before though, I like to design things that use stock sizes/lengths etc where possible.

Also not sure how to send a sketch in an older version

Thanks
Message 9 of 29
Anonymous

to get a older version go to "projects "; go to option set the value of older version to 1. click save and close.

Go back to your file you are working in and click save. Inv will save the older version file in a separte folder called "older version" in the file project folder.

That can be opened in any older version INV.

see file attached

Cheers
Message 10 of 29
JDMather

>can you send this file in a older version. I have 2008 version.

>...set the value of older version to 1
>That can be opened in any older version INV.

Wow. Thanks for that tip. You wouldn't believe how many times someone posts here asking how to open a file in an older version of Inventor. Where did you learn that trick? How long have you been using it?

;~)

Message 11 of 29
Anonymous

This produces backup files, not an older version. There is no way to
produce an older version in any parametric modeler while retaining the
parametrics.

Use STEP (preferred), or SAT. If you are transferring the part to a
different modeler, use .xt(Parasolid) for SE SW and other Parasolid
modelers, .g for Pro/E.
--
Dennis Jeffrey, Autodesk Inventor Certified Expert

Subscribe to the free "The Creative Inventor Magazine now available at:
http://teknigroup.com/CI-Subscribe-Login.asp
Message 12 of 29
Anonymous

I Cant belive it, i have tried a so produced file in a older version inventor and it was successfully opened.

I had made a file thru autodsk simulation 10 and opened in inventor 2008.

That is why i had suggested so.

i will try it again on monday but i am pretty sure it is possible.
Message 13 of 29
Anonymous

One thing forgot to add , why by default it is given name"old version", it supposed to be "back up files".

Isn't it?
Message 14 of 29
Anonymous

Hi

I was refraining from commenting on the 'old versions' topic. So I am guessing that there is no way to say "polyline length =1234...". the routed systems sounds interesting, not sure if you could derive a part or something similar and share a centerline but I only have suite. Thanks for the responses anyway.

Cheers
Message 15 of 29
JDMather

>it supposed to be "back up files".

A back-up file would be identical to the working file. A back-up copy saved in a different location for safe keeping.

You can set to save multiple old-versions, old-versions being revisions to the working file at different times.

Message 16 of 29
Anonymous

> A back-up file would be identical to the working file...

well that's not the case for the backup file of the autocad, it is always one version earlier (unless of course, you save twice...)
Message 17 of 29
JDMather

>well that's not the case for the backup file of the autocad,

Uhmmm, Inventor, SolidWorks, Pro/E are not AutoCAD. There are many other CAD programs as well. They all are probably a bit different than AutoCAD. If you want Inventor to be more like AutoCAD sumbit your wish here http://www.augi.com

Message 18 of 29
Anonymous

> If you want Inventor to be more like AutoCAD sumbit your wish here http://www.augi.com
I don't, i'm just making a point.

JD, you are one of the most dedicated persons to this forum (if not the most), you always provide help and make sure users get good basics by attaching tutorials and "howto"s but why you have to be so sarcastic and agressive?
Message 19 of 29
Anonymous

Have you considered using the sheet metal tools, to model the 1200 x 2400 sheet, and then using the fold tool to bend it?

Different approach, just a thought.
Message 20 of 29
Anonymous

Hi

Thanks, I have used that method before, some of my customers dont have huge resources so any material/time saving I can give them I will, also coming from the shop floor I know it can be annoying to cut 5mm of the end of a sheet just because the design wasnt fully thought through. But in this instance I wanted a bit of freedom just to move a line around in real time. In reality this isnt a big deal but I can see a use for this and would be nice to be able to do is all.

Cheers

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report