Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to convert a 3d inventor file into a 2d cad file.

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
pajamas4
36130 Views, 11 Replies

How to convert a 3d inventor file into a 2d cad file.

Hello

I want to convert a 3D inventor file and flatten into a Auto CAD 2D file.  I triedthe flatshot command and it didn't work.  Does anybody here knows how?

Thank you

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
rdyson
in reply to: pajamas4

Have you done all of the included tutorials (Help / Learning Tools / Tutorials)

PDSU 2016
Message 3 of 12
pajamas4

Hello

Yes I tried help, tutorals and everything.  I even researched online and under youtube; but I could't fine the solution I'm looking for. This is the last thing to solve my issue. Do you have any solution(s) of what my issue it?  If so, please explain.

Thank you

Message 4 of 12
MingweiGao

You need to create a drawing file based on your 3D model.

For an example:

Launch Inventor;

Get Started->New->Select a drawing template(DWG/IDW) -> And then place several views of your model... 

Steven Gao

Sr. SQA Engineer

Message 5 of 12
johnsonshiue

Hi! Based on the limited information you provided, there are actually several workflows to bring an Inventor to 3D part to AutoCAD. Here are a few ways to do that.

a) If you are using AutoCAD R2013 or later, you can create views of an Inventor part directly without doing anything in Inventor.

b) Start a new dwg file in Inventor and create drawing views of the part. The file can be opened in AutoCAD directly and you can add annotations to the file. And, the file keeps referencing the Inventor part file.

c) Similar to option b) but in the end, do Save Copy As AutoCAD dwg. The AutoCAD dwg file will not reference Inventor file.

d) Open the part in Inventor and do Save Copy As AutoCAD dwg. Solids, surfaces, and sketches will be saved in the AutoCAD dwg. You can manipulate them in AutoCAD.

If you are talking about flat pattern of a Sheet Metal part, you can export the flat pattern body as AutoCAD dwg.

Let me know if more information is needed.

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 6 of 12
JDMather

Perhaps all you need to do is run the Viewbase command in AutoCAD and select the Inventor model?

It all depends on what you really need in the end.

viewbase.png

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 7 of 12
pajamas4
in reply to: JDMather

Hello

This helps. 

Thank you

Message 8 of 12
pajamas4

Hello

I think I found a way to my problem.

What I did was I made the model on the Assembly file; then I placed the views on the drawing templete.  After that, instead of saving it to inventor, I exported it to CAD and open that CAD file after it's done loading.  I opened it and it's completely flat (2D).

Just wanted to write back to tell ya'll what I did.

Thanks for all your help again

Message 9 of 12
mdbrighton_1986
in reply to: JDMather

I realize this is an old post, but how can I do what you are showing in the 2018 version??

I can't seem to find the base view option.

Message 10 of 12

Are you looking for something like this?

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 11 of 12

Hi! Are you talking about creating associative drawing views to Inventor components (parts and assemblies) in AutoCAD? If yes, the AutoCAD command is called VIEWBASE. The panel may not be on by default, you will need to right-click on the ribbon to enable it.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 12 of 12

Thanks!

The problem is I work at a custom gage shop and create drawings/dxfs for all my ipts, but sometimes the guys on the floor machine side jobs for which ipts are provided and they make me create the dxfs for them which is distracting.

I will be training them tomorrow on how to pull in views right at their computers on the floor using Autocad.

So helpful!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report