Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to construct a sketch plane on a round

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
jkarns
274 Views, 4 Replies

How to construct a sketch plane on a round

We work with round tubing with features put in them. Mostly just holes on a round tube. I always struggle with constructing a a plane on tube, not on the tube face but on the top, bottom and sides.

I first create my tube O.D. then my tube I.D. and extrude to the length I want. After that I want to constuct a plane to add the holes features, any suggestions on the best way of doing this?

Thanks.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
JDMather
in reply to: jkarns

It sounds like you have done this before, but just not happy with the process you have used so far.

Is that correct?

If yes, can you attach a file you have completed before so that someone can demonstrate an easier way.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 5
jkarns
in reply to: JDMather

Yes I have done this before by creating un-needed parts into the sketch so I can refferance off of that part/or shape. Attached is one I did that way.

Message 4 of 5
JDMather
in reply to: jkarns

I don't understand what was difficult with that one?

But I did notice that you did not place a construction lines to keep the holec centered.  (see attached)

Oh wait a minute, I see what you did.

Why did you rotate the workplane?

You can rotate the tube instead when you place in the assembly - just like the real world.

If you need holes at many different angles on the tube -

simply create a sketch with the angles,

then click the endpoints of the angled lines and the angled lines for the workplane.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 5 of 5
jkarns
in reply to: JDMather

Thanks for the tip on the hole center lines.

That tube is part of an assembly where I used other pieces to create that plane. Is there a way to create that plane without having to create unwated parts?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report