Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to combine or merge many projects together.

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
EAKL
2756 Views, 3 Replies

How to combine or merge many projects together.

Hi, I am using inventor 2012 but i am not using Vault, I try to understand how to combine or merge many projects together. Can someone plz explain in details what is the normal procedure and how the files tree is suppose to look like?

I got a retraction system that is one project with his own content center, then i got a hood that is another project with his own content center.

Since im going to create many different retraction system and many different hood in the future, to be used in many different combinations.

I want to be able to create a master project that includes smaller projects so i can still work all the projects independantly.

Regards KL

Edited by
Discussion_Admin

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
blair
in reply to: EAKL

We keep all our standard product under a single project. Any custom work we do under a Custom project which has our standard product as a read only library. This allows us to pull in any stock product and prevents us from accidentally modifying it for a custom unit.

Our standard product directory contains over 10,000 different files. Any CC parts that we stock in our ERP system, are saved as "Custom" into our standard product directory.

Our Standard Product directory and our Custom directory are at the same level and not nested one inside of the other. This allows us to set the other as a read only library allowing for use of existing parts, but not being able to change them unless you are in that project.

Capture.JPG

Others may have better setups that suit their needs as well. The "AMLWork3d" is our standard parts and the "Customer" is for custom outside work. The "AML-Shop" is for all  our jig's and fixtures. They are all at the same level with other required directories as Libraries.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 3 of 4
EAKL
in reply to: blair

Hi Blair, I would like to thank you for your post, it helped.

I'm reading the book Mastering Autodesk Inventor 2012 from Curtis Waguespack, I think i misunderstood it when it cames to content center. We are desingning machines with different components (there are hoods, retraction systems, heat exchangers, combustion chambers, etc...) that are all parts of the same contract (for one mill). The way  i started is to define a content center for each components and each component is a project (one CC/Project for hood, one for combustion chamber, etc...). Now i think that i should only have one content center including all the contracts?(so one content center at all on the server?) and one project for each contract/mill? So when it comes to reusing parts of a project into another one ill just have to copy the assembly i need into the new project folder? To make short, an Inventor Project should include everything from a single job and a single job should have only one project related to it?

Thx for your time, KL

Message 4 of 4
blair
in reply to: EAKL

You could have a project for each assembly. Myself, if it's for a single end user, would be to have a single project to encompass the whole job along with a single CC. You may just wish to have  your individual parts either numbered incrementally or have a primary part number for each major assembly (XXX1-0000) and then have the parts for each major assembly with all parts for the assemblies as XXX1-0001 and XXXX-0002 in numberic sequence.

When it comes to part numbers, it's up to the end user to decide.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report