Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to change a BOM structure of library parts

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Barvas11
1255 Views, 4 Replies

How to change a BOM structure of library parts

Hi Guys,

The BOM structure of the library parts is set up as "purchased" and I cannot change it for some reason..... is there any way to change this? 

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
cbenner
in reply to: Barvas11

@Barvas11 wrote:

Hi Guys,

The BOM structure of the library parts is set up as "purchased" and I cannot change it for some reason..... is there any way to change this? 

Thanks

You will need to copy the item to a read/write library so you have access to modify the parts.  Are you using Vault or desktop Content?  If you already have a custom library, just right click on the part and select Sace Copy As, then follow the prompts.

Once you have the parts in a read/write library, Open from Content Center.  Pick the file you want to modify, be sure to check "As Custom", and select a size, if necessary, from the table.  Save the file in some working directory somewhere.  Once it is open, go to Tools\Document Settings\Bill of Materials and change the BOM structure there.

Save the file.  Go to Content Center editor (Manage tab), find the part in the read/write library.  Right click on it and select Replace Family Template, then find the file you just changed.  Select that, it should think for a minute and tell you the libraby has been sucessfully updated... or some words like that.

You will have to do this for any standard Content Center part that you want to modify.

Message 3 of 5
Barvas11

thanks dude,

Looking at the outlined procedure I have go thru I will rather turn all unwanted parts to "reference". I can do that in the master assembly as soon as it's checked out.

There are so many little bugs in Inventor and that really annoys me!

Message 4 of 5
Cadmanto

You are so right when it comes to all the4 little things that need to be done to get what you ultimately need.

One thing you can also do is in your part models under the tools>document settings

bom.PNG

is change the default BOM structure here, so that when they show up in your drawing BOM they come in correctly.

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 5 of 5
jeamy.baena

Hi, Experts

How can I do that, but for multiple parts at once?

Workaround: Insert all parts into a new assembly, and use BOM editor to change this.

Do you know other way to do this or Do I need a macro here?

Thanks!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report