Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to angle either end of a piece of material after it is extruded

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
mitchell3010
487 Views, 7 Replies

How to angle either end of a piece of material after it is extruded

Hey I'm new to autodesk. I cannot seem to figure out how to angle a piece of material after it has been extruded.

For example, If I create a shape ie. a 10mm square and extrude the shape to a length of say 100mm, and want to miter either end at 45 degrees so as I can join them to create a 90 degree angled piece....

How do I angle the end of the extruded piece?

I know it can be done with a simple chamfer but this is not ideal when dealing with more complicated shapes.

I am using autodesk 2012.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
mehatfie
in reply to: mitchell3010

Hi mitchell3010,

A simple solution would be to create a sketch with the angle you wish to cut on the side of the piece. Use the Extrude command again but instead select the "Cut" option (the middle option).

Regards

Mitch

Let me know if it helps... Kudos if it works!!!

Message 3 of 8
mpatchus

One method is to simply create a sketch on one of the surfaces with the profile of the material you wish to remove.

extrude.JPG

Mike Patchus - Lancaster SC

Inventor 2025 Beta

Alienware m17, Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-10980HK CPU @ 2.40GHz 3.10 GHz, Win 11, 64gb RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Super

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below. 🙂
Message 4 of 8
mpatchus
in reply to: mehatfie

LOL  Great minds think alike!   Hahaha

Inventor 2025 Beta

Alienware m17, Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-10980HK CPU @ 2.40GHz 3.10 GHz, Win 11, 64gb RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Super

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below. 🙂
Message 5 of 8
SBix26

Or, if it is an extruded profile as you described, the Draft tool will do what you want.

Message 6 of 8
mitchell3010

I can't seem to do that with my drawing..(I'm sure its just me being useless) I have attached a sample piece of material similar to what I am trying to do so maybe it might help you understand what I'm dealing with.

Basically I am just trying to repeat the angle on the other side of the attached drawing. (I didnt draw that one so I dont know how it was done.)

Thanks!

Message 7 of 8
mpatchus

If you simply want to add the same thing to the other end of the piece, use the mirror command and mirror the feature using a midplane.

Inventor 2025 Beta

Message 8 of 8
JDMather

@mitchell3010 wrote:

I can't seem to do that with my drawing..(I'm sure its just me being useless) Thanks!

See the list of Tutorials in this thread http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Inventor/coincidence-point-in-3D-sketch/td-p/3737757  spend a couple of days going through these and then it all all be much easier to figure out.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report