Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to align dimensions??

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
SMPConsulting
1144 Views, 4 Replies

How to align dimensions??

Hi All,

I'm trying to place an aligned dimension as per the attached sketch. I'm looking to get the dimensions align with red line but can't get it to work and I'm sure there must be a way because it is a fairly common type of dimension.

Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

regards

Anthony Paul
www.smpconsulting.com.au
An Inventor user since IV6 2002, and a 3D AutoCad user since R9 1989

i7 7770 @ 3.6GHz – 4.2, GB H110M M.2 Mainboard, 2 x 8 GB DDR4 RAM
250 GB SSD 960 Evo Series SSD, 700 W 80+ ATX Power Supply, Win 10 Home 64 Bit
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
stefaanboel
in reply to: SMPConsulting

Hi Paul,

It's not possible just like that, you have to be a little inventive.

Put a sketch on top of your view and project some lines. Then draw 2 "sketch only" lines. Like I putted in orange in the attachment.

Then dimension the line like you indicated with the blue dimension.

Finish the sketch.

Click with RMB on the sketch and select "retrieve dimensions" and select the dimension to get it from the sketch to your view.

That does the trick, and it should als be adaptive if you change something to the model 😉

So the trick here is...put it in a sketch and get the dimension from it...

01.jpg

If this is the solution, push the solution button Smiley Wink (and maybe some kudos)

Message 3 of 5
SMPConsulting
in reply to: stefaanboel

Hi Stefaan,

Thank you for posting your solution. I will use that for the time being however I must say I'm surprised that Autodesk hasn't programed this type of dimensioning in Inventor as it is a very common type of dimensioning. Moreover it was always a standard feature in AutoCad so as I say I am very surprised as to why it's not included as a standard command in Inventor.

I would be interested to hear from anyone from AutoDesk on this topic as to why it isn't included. I recently completed the drawing survey and this certainly would have been something I would have commented on.

Anthony Paul
www.smpconsulting.com.au
An Inventor user since IV6 2002, and a 3D AutoCad user since R9 1989

i7 7770 @ 3.6GHz – 4.2, GB H110M M.2 Mainboard, 2 x 8 GB DDR4 RAM
250 GB SSD 960 Evo Series SSD, 700 W 80+ ATX Power Supply, Win 10 Home 64 Bit
Message 4 of 5

Hi Quadratec,

You might take a moment to share your ideas about how to improve Inventor with the Development Team on the IdeaStation:
http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-IdeaStation/idb-p/v1232

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 5 of 5

Hi Curtis.

There is already an idea for this:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-IdeaStation/Custom-alignment-direction-for-Aligned-Dimensions...

😉

If this is the solution, push the solution button Smiley Wink (and maybe some kudos)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report