Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to add details to the extruded part of a circle?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Drew_Walker
293 Views, 4 Replies

how to add details to the extruded part of a circle?

Hi there everyone. In inventor, i am attempting to make a wheel (an ATV wheel to be exact). Im eventually going to make a model of an ATV that im going to 3d print, but I need some help first. I made my basic circle, extruded it, and now ive run into trouble. When i try to select the round part of the tire, it is not an option. I can only choose either one of the circles that have been made. I need to add treads to the tire to make it look like an actual tire and not just a circle. Is this possible? Im new to inventor, Im just a high school kid who downloaded the free 3 year license at home, so if you could try to speak in laymans terms that would be great. Thanks guys.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
salariua
in reply to: Drew_Walker

There is a model in the first post here:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-general-discussion/can-t-shell-my-tire/m-p/5417143#M528940

You need to cut the interior as revolved cut.

What version of Inventor you have?

Adrian S.
blog.ads-sol.com 

AIP2012-2020 i7 6700k AMD R9 370
Did you find this reply helpful ?
If so please use the Accepted Solutions or Like button - Thank you!
Message 3 of 5
JDMather

@Drew_Walker wrote:

Im eventually going to make a model of an ATV that im going to 3d print, ....

How big is the build envelope of your printer?

By the time you scale down your model enough to fit on the printer you may loose a lot of detail - or portions might be too thin to print.  Keep this in mind as you proceed with your design.

Attach your file(s) here any time you run into trouble.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 4 of 5
Drew_Walker
in reply to: salariua

@salariua, I have the student version of Inventor 2015. As I said, im a noobie when it comes to this stuff so if you could explain a little more what "cutting the interior as a resolved cut" is that would be great. Thanks.

@JDMather, im not sure of the exact size of the build envelope of the printer. Its not mine, its the one in the CAD lab at school that anybody enrolled in CAD classes can use. Ive seen people print fairly large phone cases on it, but im not sure of exact size. I do know it is a MakerbotReplicator, and its the model that is made out of wood or whatever. My thought was as long as I can keep it within the size of like an average phone case then ill be good. Also, I know I shouldn't make it super detailed, but stuff like treads on a tire are fairly important features, it would look bad if my tire was just a plain circle. Thanks for the help.
Message 5 of 5
salariua

Unfortunately I think you need to go trough the tutorials. Once you do that you will probably be able to open a part and understand how it's been done, just like the part in the link I've sent you. 

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/inventor-products/getting-started#?cg=Getting%20Started&p=Inve...

You need to get to understand the functions and basics of part modeling. 

It's things like this:

I wrote "as revolved cut" and you ask us what a "resolved cut" is.

We all were novices at some point, but we can't do much help without you getting the basics.

Adrian S.
blog.ads-sol.com 

AIP2012-2020 i7 6700k AMD R9 370
Did you find this reply helpful ?
If so please use the Accepted Solutions or Like button - Thank you!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report