Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How much is too much, lots of multibodied solids and features

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
412 Views, 7 Replies

How much is too much, lots of multibodied solids and features

I've got a component that I'd love to make an assy but I'd have to do so many cuts and copy objects It's pathetic.  So what I've done is make a multibodied part and had those become parts of an assy.  Whatever I can add to the part that doesn't need to be combined w/ the others I add to the newly created part.  However I have trouble w/ the fact that seemingly at random I wind up w/ simple commands taking way too much time. 

Ie. I create a new sketch and then try to draw a line, I have to wait for the computer to think for up to 30s.  This seems to come and go. 

I've got over 300 parameters, 10-15 solids, and probably 50 or so features (extrusions mainly). 

I don't know if the slowness is a result of network issues or am I running afoul of an unwritten limit for complexity in a solid?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

What I like to do is create the part in the same way using multiple solids to create multiple components. I find this easier then creating multiple parts in an assembly and jumping form part to part.

When I have the basic shape of the components I turn the visibility off until one part remains and save it as copied part.

I repeat this with all the solids until you’ve got your components separately in part files and add them to an assembly.

Then I add finer detail in the full assembly and I never really have performance issues

The number of solids you can have depends more on your computer spec then the software.

Hope this helps

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous

That's basically the workflow I'm using except I use the "make components" command to form them into one assy.  Then when the parts have been seperated I add finishing touches so as not to disturb the original part.  I'm basically making a room w/ lots of stiffeners joining up and then adding insulation.  I'd use frame generator but for some reason our setup here makes that a major pain.  The room isn't just a straight box w/ easy connections but w/ angled windows, custom trim and stuff.  When all's said and done I'll have a part w/ 10-15 solids, mabye a thousand parameters and probably about 150 -200extrusions, sweeps, etc.  I just wonder where's IV's limit because I keep having issues w/ basic simple inputs taking forever.

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous

Sorry,

Intel Xenon

Hex core

2.8 GHz

12 Gig Ram

Win 7 64-bit

FDS Ultimate 2013

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous

For complex models, complex mold assemblies, and large assemblies

• 64-bit Windows 7 or Windows 8
  • Xeon E3 or Core i7 or equivalent, 3.3 GHz or greater
  • 16 GB RAM or greater
  • 15 GB free disk space for installation
  • 1,280 x 1,024 or higher screen resolution
  • Direct3D 9 or compatible graphics card (Direct3D 11 or higher recommended)
  • Internet Explorer 6 or later (.NET Framework Version 4.5 web browser)
  • Excel 2003 or later for iFeatures, iParts, iAssemblies, thread customization, and spreadsheet-driven designs
  • Flash Player 10
  • Internet connection for web downloads and Subscription Aware access
  • Microsoft-compliant mouse or pointing device
  • DVD-ROM drive

So maybe some more RAM may help you with the performance issues. But the spec above should handle most things you throw at it

Message 6 of 8
JDMather

My guess is that there is an "error" somewhere that is causing the slow-down problem.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 7 of 8
RobSinglehurst
in reply to: JDMather

Have you done a "Rebuild All" recently to see if the model is still sound?

Cheers,
--Rob
Inventor 2024.2
Message 8 of 8
PaulMunford

We regularly create multi-body 'design parts' with 10's of solid bodies and hundreds of features.

You are creating a super massive part, so you do need to be careful in the way you build your models.

Did You know that you can suppress the link between the part file and the derived part?

That can speed things up...

Autodesk Industry Marketing Manager UK D&M
Opinions are my own and may not reflect those of my company.
Linkedin Twitter Instagram Facebook Pinterest

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report