Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do YOU show grain direction?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
chad38
7614 Views, 4 Replies

How do YOU show grain direction?

So, from time to time we need to show the direction of the grain on sheet metal parts. In order to do this I've been clicking on the view, creating a new sketch, then I've been drawing little dotted lines on a mostly blank area, constraining them(in case the part changes so they will stay attached) then I back out of the sketch, using a dimension style I set up for ordinate dims that has lettering vertical I run a dim from the endpoint of one dotted line to the endpoint of the other, and I place it with the arrows covering up the dotted lines, then I double click the dimension, check the box for hide dimension value, and type in "GRAIN". I've just been feeling like there's probably a way to do this where I don't have to do all these steps. How would YOU do it?

example:

Capture.JPG

HP Z420 Workstation
Intel Xeon CPU E5-1603 0 @ 2.80 GHz 2.80 GHz
12.0 GB RAM
Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit
3D Connexion Space Pilot
Solid Edge ST9 MP1

Inventor Professional 2015
Autocad 2015
SolidWorks 2015
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
stephengibson76
in reply to: chad38

a sketched symbol

Stephen Gibson

View stephen gibson's profile on LinkedIn

Message 3 of 5
blair
in reply to: stephengibson76

We just use a simple note, text with arrow. As with the previous post answer a symbol is great as well. (just to lazy to create a symbol)

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 4 of 5
chad38
in reply to: stephengibson76

Okay guys, thanks, now how do I create a sketched symbol. I assume once created it would show up with other symbols like weld and datum, but I'm making sketches and cannot figure out how to save out as a symbol.

HP Z420 Workstation
Intel Xeon CPU E5-1603 0 @ 2.80 GHz 2.80 GHz
12.0 GB RAM
Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit
3D Connexion Space Pilot
Solid Edge ST9 MP1

Inventor Professional 2015
Autocad 2015
SolidWorks 2015
Message 5 of 5
blair
in reply to: chad38

From the Inventor Help File: http://help.autodesk.com/view/INVNTOR/2014/ENU/?guid=GUID-EF6BFD15-804A-4A9B-A002-C75B61ED6E75

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report