Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you prep CNC cut files?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
NachitoMax
2117 Views, 6 Replies

How do you prep CNC cut files?

It's not a question per se, it's more of a general method collective.

When I started prepping CNC files, it seemed like an arduous task. I focus around woodwork and inventor focuses around metal so sheet metal exports to 2D flat files but parts don't. After various methods I decided to make my own method. This is what I do-

I set up various sheet formats as full scale 1:1 stock and sheet sizes
I add the sheet size or material stock size that I need
I made a vba routine to pop up a form and browse to the part. The routine then inserts the part at scale 1:1 on its largest face. Once the part is positioned, the pop up returns for the next part. ( the file path remains to prevent browsing every time )
When I'm done and I'm happy with everything, I run another vba routine to export all sheets as autocad drawings.

For me, this is quick and painless with little effort. I have sketch symbols for grain directions etc and materials are preset in the iproperties during modeling.

I was curious to other peoples methods 🙂

Thanks

Nigel

Nacho

Automation & Design Engineer

Inventor Programmer (C#, VB.Net / iLogic)

EESignature

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
mcgyvr
in reply to: NachitoMax

I don't have info/comments for your process but just wanted to make sure you are aware of this.. Its virtually brand new to inventor and "free" and great for regular CNC parts.. ..Not sure if your woodworking is more than just cut to length jobs or not..

http://cam.autodesk.com/hsm 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 7
NachitoMax
in reply to: mcgyvr

Hi

Thanks for the link. I wasn't aware of that product and it looks very interesting. Most companies I work for use licom and pull in drawings as a flat 2D cad drawing. They also require a paper version of the CNC nested sheet for job bags.

I'll download and take a look though

Thanks

Nigel

Nacho

Automation & Design Engineer

Inventor Programmer (C#, VB.Net / iLogic)

EESignature

Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

Message 4 of 7
BLHDrafting

This site might offer some info as it includes woodworking.

http://www.cadsetterout.com/tag/woodworking/

Brendan Henderson

Web www.blhdrafting.com.au
Twitter @BLHDrafting

Windows 7 x64 -64 GB Ram, Intel Xeon E5-1620 @ 3.6 GHz
ATI FirePro V7800 2 GB, 180 GB SSD & 1 TB HDD, Inv R2016 PDSU SP1 (Build 210), Vault 2016 Professional Update 1 (Build 21.1.4.0)
Message 5 of 7
blair
in reply to: BLHDrafting

We use Radan software, just switching from MTC )/Thermadyne. Reads in Inventor files, producing tooling for either single part or multi-part nesting. Common line cutting and looks after crops for later cutting. It's not cheap!

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 6 of 7
PaulMunford

Did you check out Scott Moyse's work on 'Design & Motion'?
http://designandmotion.net/autodesk/mfg-pages/inventor/inventor-creating-cnc-cut-file-inventor-model...

Scott also has a class at AU you might be interested in... search for MA2274

Autodesk Industry Marketing Manager UK D&M
Opinions are my own and may not reflect those of my company.
Linkedin Twitter Instagram Facebook Pinterest

Message 7 of 7
scottmoyse

Cheers for the referral paul! If you guys are coming to AU then please come along, we have a few cool work flows & some automation we've created. We'd be happy to share some of the code with the attendees. Failing that, you can always check out the class recording online once it's been uploaded.

It sounds like you've found yourself a great workflow Nogel! We ended up doing everything with Inventor assemblies straight into AlphaCAM in the end. We got fed up dealing with AutoCAD and cleaning up the output from the inventor drawings.

How do you handle part numbers & labels?

Scott Moyse

EESignature

Design & Manufacturing Technical Services Manager at Cadpro New Zealand

Co-founder of the Grumpy Sloth full aluminium billet mechanical keyboard project

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report