Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you insert a .jpeg onto a Inventor drawing?

20 REPLIES 20
SOLVED
Message 1 of 21
MattBonhage
143208 Views, 20 Replies

How do you insert a .jpeg onto a Inventor drawing?

Hello,

I'm trying to place some pictures (.jpeg, bitmap, whatever) onto an inventor drawing but it won't let me.   I see when you create a sketch in a drawing there is an "image" option in the insert tab, however this option is always grayed out for me no matter what I try. 

The way I insert pictures on a drawing now is just to create a part, put the image as a decal on that part and create a view in a drawing with a shaded view. However with this option the lighting shows up and kills the image quality and it seems too complicated to be the correct way.  I figure there has to be a simpler method and I'm just missing it.

Thanks.

20 REPLIES 20
Message 2 of 21
mcgyvr
in reply to: MattBonhage

You are talking about 2 different things here..

To insert an image into a drawing simply go to the Manage tab and Click the "insert object" button on the insert section.

Then click create from file and browse to your image..

As far as the decal reflection

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Inventor/How-to-disable-reflections-and-gradients-in-shaded-v...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 21
JDMather

You can also place images in Sketched Symbols.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 4 of 21
MattBonhage
in reply to: mcgyvr

Thanks for the help.  My main issue was trying to get an image to display on a drawing.  The reflection was the problem with my old methodology of viewing an image but now that is now a non-issue for me with the "inset object"

Autodesk should really do something to make it clearer on inserting an image into a drawing.  They have  "image" under the insert tab which is always grayed out for me.  (Why put it in there if it is never an option that can be used?)  The way they tell you to do it in the help files does not work in the sketch mode drawing environment.  And the way they define "Insert object" as to be used for word files and spreadsheets, not an image. 

Message 5 of 21
William1337

I agree on that, the icons are greyet out by me as well = the tutorials dos'nt work. Does anyone know wy the icons are greyed out????

Message 6 of 21
JDMather
in reply to: William1337

Provide the url to the tutorial step where you are having difficulty.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 7 of 21
jtylerbc
in reply to: William1337

@William1337 wrote:

I agree on that, the icons are greyet out by me as well = the tutorials dos'nt work. Does anyone know wy the icons are greyed out????

That "Insert Image" button only works when editing the definition of a title block or symbol.  If you're placing the image directly on the drawing sheet, you'll need to use Insert Object.

Why they can't make the same button work for both is something I don't think I'll ever understand.

Message 8 of 21
William1337
in reply to: jtylerbc

Ok. thanks for the reply:)

Message 9 of 21
john.yochum

This was exactly what I wanted to know. Thanks for the solution.

JRY_OlympicHS

Message 10 of 21
zahitusta

You may not add if you are not in the "Define New Title Block" environment. 

Click on "Drawing Resources" on the browser, and then right click on Title Blocks and finally left click on "Define New Title Block". Now you should be able to insert any picture format.

Message 11 of 21
Mike.Anderson
in reply to: jtylerbc

Thanks jtylerbc

Yours is the actual solution.

@jtylerbcwrote:

@William1337 wrote:

That "Insert Image" button only works when editing the definition of a title block or symbol.  If you're placing the image directly on the drawing sheet, you'll need to use Insert Object.

Why they can't make the same button work for both is something I don't think I'll ever understand.

Message 12 of 21
MZimmerle
in reply to: JDMather

JD, any further description of this process?

Message 13 of 21
johnsonshiue
in reply to: MZimmerle

Hi! I thought the instructions provided by the experts are pretty clear. Could you elaborate what exact process you are looking for?

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 14 of 21
MZimmerle
in reply to: johnsonshiue

There have been statements about how to actually get the image into the IDW, but once that is done, there is not ability to rotate nor resize it.

Maybe it can be done in the Sketched Symbols (as jdmather points to). ? ? ?

Message 15 of 21
johnsonshiue

Hi! Yes, if you insert the image as an object to the drawing, it cannot be rotated. You can only scale it or move it around. You need to create a sketch symbol so that the image symbol can be rotated. Here are the steps to define a new symbol.

1) Go to Annotate tab -> click on the expandable button "Insert Sketch Symbol" -> Define New Symbol/

2) Insert the image to the symbol sketch -> Finish Sketch.

3) Insert the image symbol.

4) Right-click (or double-click) on the inserted symbol -> uncheck Static -> Ok.

5) Drag the rotate manipulator in the symbol to rotate.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 16 of 21
asiu
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Why can't you just insert an image as you are in sketch mode in a drawing view? The icon is greyed out.

Always 20 steps to solve a simple problem...

Message 17 of 21
johnsonshiue

Hi! I am sorry I am not sure. There are ways to insert an image to a drawing sheet. You can go to Manage -> Insert Object. It does not have to be a sketch.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 18 of 21

The "insert object" and "insert image" are technically two very different things.

First one is using ObjectLinking&Embedding system function, what means that displaying and editing of an object is delegated to an another non-inventor application. This means that the displayability and visual effects do depend on the set of applications present in system. On the other hand when an image is inserted directly this is up to Inventor to handle the entire displaying chain and the Inventor is the only required component to display an image.

Using objects may then create serious problems when information must be archived.

I would be glad to be able to just insert an image and be sure that it is handled internally by an Inventor.

Message 19 of 21
asiu

It's 2022 an inserting an image in an Inventor drawing it is still NOT intuitive.

As this is not something I do often, I find myself looking for help every time...

Message 20 of 21
steve
in reply to: Mike.Anderson

Yes Insert Image 

type the file location example C:\Users\CADAPP\Pictures\

Then Click Browse 

Find the Pic click OPEN 

Enjoy  

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report