Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I properly constrain this?

41 REPLIES 41
Message 1 of 42
shoopdawoop
1675 Views, 41 Replies

How do I properly constrain this?

Hi.  As you can see from the screenshot, this system is comprised of three parts.  The smaller part (part a) is inserted into the main part (part b) axially, and there is a slot cut away from part b through which a cam pin (part c) is inserted through both parts b and a.  What I need is for part a to rotate, but under the constraint of the cam pin/slot relationship.  My problem is that I have no idea how to do this.

I've tried simply making all of the parts part of a contact set, but Inventor doesn't understand that when I rotate the inner part, I want the rotation to be constrained by the slot/cam pin relationship, i.e. I want the cam pin to slide along the slot, and the contact program breaks.  

I've tried creating a joint/slider relationship between the cam pin and the slot, but I can't figure out how to orient the cam pin properly for this to work.  

Even if I could create that relationship properly, I would still have another problem: I need not only a sliding relationship between the cam pin and the slot, I need a rotational constraint wherein the cam pin remains equidistant from the x axis throughout the movement.  There is actually another long part which goes through the center of all parts of the assembly, including the end of the cam pin.  That part is centered axially on the x axis, so if the cam pin does not remain equidistant from the x axis throughout its movement, there will be interference.  

Because I didn't know how to wrap the slot sketch around the cylinder, the slot was created via an extrusion from a 2d sketch, so the side wall of the slot is therefore a simple, straight plane, that may have implications here.  

Can anyone help?

41 REPLIES 41
Message 41 of 42
WHolzwarth
in reply to: WHolzwarth

wh schrieb:

Smiley Wink Now I'm wondering about a reliable solution for a conical pin in slot.

Meanwhile I've been thinking about it, and the result is not totally bad. See IPT from STEP out of 2015 in attachment.

But it's not perfect. The conical surface offset seems ok, but at the transition to the end fillets are tiny faces left. Outside transition seems ok, but not at the internal face.

Smiley Wink That's the real challenge, Autodesk. For me, that would be more important than all these minor changes in Home screen, Appearances, and Studio renderings.

Walter

Walter Holzwarth

EESignature

Message 42 of 42
WHolzwarth
in reply to: WHolzwarth

New attempt, after having some sleep.

Smiley Wink Now I'm pleased.

Walter Holzwarth

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report