Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how do i merge everything from 2011 vault and inventor to 2015?

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
jagannath.ramanan
320 Views, 4 Replies

how do i merge everything from 2011 vault and inventor to 2015?

Hey All,

Quick questions. We have an old 2011 autodesk vault and autodesk inventor. we cannot upgrade that.

We also have running 2015 autodesk vault and inventor. How do i copy everything from 2011 computer that has vault and invetor to the new 2015 vault and inventor.

In other words how would i merge the 2011 to 2015 without losing any files.

thanks. Im brand new to this. Any help is sincerely appreciated.

thanks!!

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Welcome to the forum.

I have been told by VAR's that upgrades whould not take place more then two years apart.  With that said, any chance you have the 2013 version floating around?  I ask because if you can upgrade your 2011 to 2013 and then 2013 to 2015, this could make this transition rather seamless.

There are plenty of resources on the internet that teach how to upgrade.  Here is one that might help you.

Vault upgrade

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 3 of 5
swalton
in reply to: Cadmanto

Scott is correct that you can migrate your 2011 setup to 2015 if you have 2013 as an intermediate stage.  If you are on subscription, you may be able to install Vault 2013 without any issue, otherwise contact a reseller and see what they will charge for a migration and/or merge to 2015.  The issue will be that you will have a 2015 Vault migrated from 2011 and a 2015 Vault that has all the latest data. 

It is hard to merge two Vaults. It not just merging the current state of the files, but adding the history, the users, roles, category logic, iprop mapping, etc.  I think that Autodesk Consulting or your reseller have some tools that can do so, but I have never used them.  

Note that migrating Vault is a separate task from migrating Inventor files.  You should plan on a two step process to migrate the Vault to 2015 and then a separate one to migrate the Inventor files, as required.

There are some some steps that you can take if you don't need to keep all the old versions/revisions from one or the other Vaults you have created.  Basically, you get the latest version of all the files in one vault, move them into the workspace of the new vault and check them in.  You will loose all the history in the abandoned vault.

Steve Walton
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Inventor 2023
Vault Professional 2023
Message 4 of 5
jagannath.ramanan
in reply to: swalton

Thanks to both of you. I totally get it.

All im trying to do is to copy the files from the machine that has 2011 to the machine that has 2015. The 2015 is the new installlation. It has no files  yet.

Isnt there a working directory or something that i can just copy from 2011 to 2015.

2011 machine we can read and copy and nothing else we can do it  (its actually gov, machine).

so only option is to do is to copy the old files from 2011 to new installed 2015.

Does that make sense? But i really appreciate you guys input.

Any more suggestions will be sincerely appreciated.

Thanks

jag

Message 5 of 5
jagannath.ramanan
in reply to: swalton

Thanks buddy, You guys were absolutely right. I upgraded the 2011 vault with 2013. (since my 2013 was in a different machine. I made a back up on 2011 and restored it on 2013 and worked like a charm!!) .. After 2013, i upgraded to 2015. The drafter you know tested and checked for their and stuff...everythings seems to be in order!! thanks again you guys for help!! Sincerely, Jag

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report