Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I follow workshop practice in welding?

17 REPLIES 17
SOLVED
Message 1 of 18
rickduley
1955 Views, 17 Replies

How do I follow workshop practice in welding?

Stitch welding is a common practice in a welding workshop, and the general idea is to alternate welds side to side like this

_Weldment_3.jpg

but it is also standard practice to "wrap" around the ends

_Weldment_1.jpg

completing the weld run round the end of the stiffener at (1) and, say, 10mm around the corner at (2).

_Weldment_2.jpg

How do I duplicate this in Inventor 2015?

17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
blair
in reply to: rickduley

You will need to create another weld with lenth only and start from the end, or trick it and do a Split-Face on the verticle at the ends to get a weld bead of the length required.

Sometime Welding in Inventor is more stuborn than the welders on the production floor.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 3 of 18
rickduley
in reply to: blair

Hi Blair

What you are saying is that Inventor cannot do this (yet) and I will have to wait until the draftsman brings the job to me and solve it as I always do (as one of those "welders on the shop floor"Smiley Wink

Message 4 of 18
blair

Changing the selection criteria and direction may allow you to create a short weld from the end to the first staggered weld. Sometimes it works easly with the first selection, other times it feels like herding cats.

Between selection and direction and then selecting the end of the weld across each end should get the results you require.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 5 of 18
jyager

Modeling the welds seems like a giant waste of time anyway. Faster just to annotate them on the drawing.

Out of curiosity...does anyone find it's actually useful to spend the time toying with the weld function?

Jason Yager
Inventor Professional 2023.2
Windows 10 Pro 21H2
Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-10900X CPU @ 3.70GHz
32GB RAM
AMD Radeon Pro WX 3200 Series
3D Connexion SpaceMouse Pro
Message 6 of 18
rickduley
in reply to: jyager

Hi Jason

>> Modeling the welds seems like a giant waste of time anyway. Faster just to annotate them on the drawing.

Sure it is - if you are prepared to leave the actual practice up to the welders on the shop floor Smiley Happy

>> Out of curiosity...does anyone find it's actually useful to spend the time toying with the weld function?

I guess I would if I was building (virtual) a device which involved a lot of welding and I wanted to run tests on stress and weight distribution etc.

Message 7 of 18
jyager

Not following how annotating the welds is leaving the practice up to welded in the shop? Maybe I'm misunderstanding the statement.

Sent from my iPhone
Jason Yager
Windows 10 Pro 21H2
32GB RAM
Message 8 of 18
rickduley

Show me how you annotate the weld we have been discussing so that you are INSTRUCTING the welder to weld round the end of the rib as I depicted.  This discussion has not revealed a means, and I do not believe that Inventor 2015 has a means (yet).  In that case, you insert a weld symbol which is a generic REQUEST for a stitch weld - and leave the actual implementation up to the welder.

Just another case of the tradesman making real what the engineer dreamed about.  Smiley Surprised  Happens all the time!

Message 9 of 18
jyager

What doe's a "generic request for a stitch weld" mean? Weld symbols are instructions on how to weld something. The weld symbol either relays the information or it doesn't. Our shop floor wouldn't be welding anything without it being clear exactly what the weld is, to be tracked, or our QA would have them strung up.

How would you have done this if you were just in regular autoCAD or on paper?

I see this type of weld all the time at power plants, from coast to coast, and these utilities have some of the most stringently regulated weld programs through their QA/QC depts you're likely to see. They often weld structural supports or anchor plates like this.

A couple examples attached.

Not sure what the tradesman (I've been a union sheet metal worker for 18 years) even needs to interpret at this point. Seems like you're just looking to make passive agressive jabs about tradesman vs engineers w/ each reply.

My issue is modeling the welds. I frequently have assemblies with 50+ welds. I can go through and tag all 50 in a couple hours or spend a day chasing my tail trying to model them. Unless you're really concerned about the filler metals weight it seems like a lot of effort for little reward.

Should Inventor be able to do this more easily? Maybe...but it also should probably have a native spellcheck, etc etc. Nothing is perfect.

Jason Yager
Windows 10 Pro 21H2
32GB RAM
Message 10 of 18
swalton

99% of our welds are not modeled in the assembly.  They are just called out on the 2d print.

Here are the main reasons:

Time to model

Overhead on large assemblies (the machine I have open right now has 4546 components, 598 unique)

We will model welds when a post weld machining process is required.  We will also do it if necessary for a FEA.

Steve Walton
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Inventor 2023
Vault Professional 2023
Message 11 of 18
LT.Rusty
in reply to: swalton

@Blair wrote:

You will need to create another weld with lenth only and start from the end, or trick it and do a Split-Face on the verticle at the ends to get a weld bead of the length required.

Sometime Welding in Inventor is more stuborn than the welders on the production floor.

Nothing - NOTHING - is more stubborn than the welders on the production floor.

They absolutely HATE that I know how to weld, so I know perfectly well what they can and can't do, and can tell the difference between a valid complaint and a lazy complaint.

@jyager wrote:

Modeling the welds seems like a giant waste of time anyway. Faster just to annotate them on the drawing.

Out of curiosity...does anyone find it's actually useful to spend the time toying with the weld function?

If you're modeling the welds, then yeah - huge waste of time.  If you're using the built in welding function, not a waste of time.

As was mentioned earlier, stress analysis is a very handy thing to be able to do on your welds.  

Rusty

EESignature

Message 12 of 18
jyager
in reply to: LT.Rusty

Our stuff (maybe fortunately for me) is required to be run through structural ANSYS, so that probably wouldn't help me then.

It might be handy to make sure I'm in the right ballpark in the early design, but usually we're so overboard to compensate for seismic loads it probably wouldn't make a noticeable difference in the design workflow.

Jason Yager
Windows 10 Pro 21H2
32GB RAM
Message 13 of 18
rickduley

>> Unless you're really concerned about the filler metals weight it seems like a lot of effort for little reward.

Couldn't agree more.

Message 14 of 18
Paul-Mason

Two ways I used to do this, when I was a welder.

1) The two end/tack runs, check for squareness or the correct angle

2) A HALF length intermittent weld on one side with a full length on the other side (ie 20mm weld with 20mm space) 10mm on one side and 20mm other side

3) Mirror actions at other end

4) Carry on & complete the weld runs

other way

1) The two end/tack runs, check for squareness or the correct angle

2) A HALF length intermittent weld on one side at each end and a full length on the other side at each end

3) Carry on & complete the weld runs

with either of these the weld should look something like a chamfer

==============
Inventor 2023 Pro
HP Z420 workstation
Xeon 3.7Ghz CPU 8 Cores, 64 GB Ram
64bit (The Garbage known as) Windows 10 Pro
AMD FirePro V3900 (ATI FireGL) (1GB RAM)
=================
Ashington Northumberland (UK) ~ Home to the WORLD FAMOUS Pitman Painters Group
Message 15 of 18
rickduley
in reply to: Paul-Mason

That's how the welder does it! Smiley Very Happy

Problem is, how does the draftsman indicate that that is what is requested?  What does the wleding symbol look like?  How do you do this in Inventor? 

These questions remain unanswered.

Message 16 of 18
jyager

Posted two possible options actually. Seems like we're making a mountain out of a mole hill, this isn't some revolutionary new weld arrangement that's never been done before.

Again. Forget Inventor. How would you show this weld in vanilla AutoCAD, or in paper? It's the same thing.
Jason Yager
Windows 10 Pro 21H2
32GB RAM
Message 17 of 18
rickduley

Sorry about that Smiley Sad

Missed your JPEG.

Do I have this right - you simply add a note at the end of the symbol saying to weld round the end.

Cheers

Message 18 of 18
jyager

I have seen it done that way at multiple unrelated utilities over the years, yes.

Sent from my iPad
Jason Yager
Windows 10 Pro 21H2
32GB RAM

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report