Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I dimesion from end face to section line in an .IDW

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
agilbert
118 Views, 3 Replies

How do I dimesion from end face to section line in an .IDW

I have an elevation of a 5" long bar with a 2" O.D. It has an I.D of 1.5". There are 4 holes drilled thru. the O.D at one end of the bar. These holes are equispaced around the circumference. I have shown this detail by creating a sectional view from the elevation. I now want to dimension from one end face of the bar to the section line to show how far along the bar to start drilling, however general dimension does not let you pick the section line.
Can anyone help me here?
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: agilbert

All you ned to do is put a center line on the hole
that is in the view youare trying to dimension and select that feature to
dimension to.
Message 3 of 4
agilbert

Thanks for replying. The thing is the way the elevation is the holes are off center of the bar so the holes appear ellipse shaped. This means you cannot pick the center of the holes. So what you are suggesting is correct but not in this case. I created the cutting line by drawing a sketch attached to the elevation and offsetting it from the end face. Ihad to create it this way because as I said as the holes are off center and are shown as ellipse shapes you cannot pick the center off them.
Message 4 of 4
Anonymous

Ok, so I have two suggestions.

1.  You should NEVER dimension a hole in any
view except one that the hole centerline is perpindicular to the view. 
This is basic drafting standards.

2.  If that is not possible then you should
still be able to creat a dimension to the center of the hole (ellipse) by
hoovering over the center of the hole until a green dot appears and select it to
dimension to then pick the end of the rod and place the
dimension.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report