Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do i copy an assembly file with parts controled by Excel?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Mustang69
499 Views, 4 Replies

How do i copy an assembly file with parts controled by Excel?

Hello!

I have a design of an industrial bureau that look like this

Every single part in this assembly gets its dimensions from 2 values from an Excel

ScreenShot018.jpg

When i want a different height and width of this design all drawings for every part changes to correct dimension

I open my IDW file and export all drawings out to DXF for production

This works great!

But the problems comes if I for a customer want to save the complete IPT and IAM files in a "customer folder" for keeping the 3D intact for that specific customer.

What is the best way to save a copy of the design together with the Excel file?

I have tried "Pack & Go" but it doesnt seam to work right. 😕

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
jddickson
in reply to: Mustang69

You can embed the excel spread before sending the file.

1.jpg

2.jpg

I hope this helps

Message 3 of 5
jddickson

If you embed your current linked sheet you night have to rename the sheet after you embed it. To keep the ilogic linked the name has to be the same.

I would always use embedded spreadsheets because there is a lot less chance of ever losing the link. Also you only have to keep track of one document.

I hope this helps.

Message 4 of 5
Mustang69
in reply to: jddickson

I will try this!

But do you mean than I should use the "Pack & Go" command for copying to another folder?

Or is the "Design Assistant" the tool for copying?

Message 5 of 5
jddickson

You can go to the manage tab and click the Parameters button. In the bottom left hand corner there is a Link button. After hitting that button you will have to browse for your excel file and before clicking ok you will need to check the Embed button. This is not like using pack and go or using design assistant. You might still have to use pack and go after embedding the file. Here are some links that explain the difference between Linked and Embedded excel files.

Link File:

http://help.autodesk.com/view/INVNTOR/2014/ENU/?guid=GUID-00F9D915-B53A-46BF-AAAC-3535F9FD9970

Embedded File:

http://help.autodesk.com/view/INVNTOR/2014/ENU/?guid=GUID-39A4FD73-A009-4E91-A680-00DC827BB54D

I hope this helps.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report