Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How dim length of arc in IPT sketch?

19 REPLIES 19
Message 1 of 20
Anonymous
1370 Views, 19 Replies

How dim length of arc in IPT sketch?

Is it possible to directly measure the length of an arc (if it was
straightened out) other than using a formula with the angle and radius in an
IPT sketch.

--
Cheers,

--Rob Singlehurst
19 REPLIES 19
Message 2 of 20
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Don't worry about this as I worked out a formula so the angle alters to give
me the required length.

--
Cheers,

--Rob Singlehurst
Message 3 of 20
Vitornis

I was wonder if there was a way to do this. i would like to be able to check and make sure my formula is giving me the correct answer by measuring the length.

Message 4 of 20
ampster402
in reply to: Vitornis

only way I know of is to create a quick idw, place your completed part (or semi-completed part, at least have a feature created using the questionable arc in the sketch) in the idw and apply a arc length dim to it.

ugly but if your are only checking your formula, I would suspect you only need to check it a couple of times until you trust it.

Message 5 of 20
cwhetten

Why not just use the Measure Distance tool?  If it is a non-circular curve, then just select the curve you wish to measure and it will give you the total length.  If it is a circular arc, Inventor will by default try to measure the radius or diameter, but if you use Select Other and flip through a couple of the choices, it will highlight the arc as shown in the pic, and when you select it it will give you the total length.

Measure Arc.png

If you need to use the measurement in another parameter, then a formula is the way to go.

-cwhetten

Message 6 of 20
Dennis_Jeffrey
in reply to: cwhetten

4-9-2011-NG000021.jpg

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.

Subscribe to the free digital "The Creative Inventor Magazine" now available at: http://teknigroup....

XP64 SP2, GeForce 9800GT-1GB, Driver: 6.14.12.7061, 8GB Ram, AMD Athlon II 3.2 Ghz
Laptop: Win7-64 Pro, 4GB, ATI Graphics on board, 2012 Ultimate, IV2011 or 2010 Pro, all SP's
Message 7 of 20
Vitornis

My problem with that measure tool it that it will select the entire loop. I only want to measure for example in the above picture the ends that form an arc and not include the length of the remainder of the loop.  

Plus I'm not always checking the my formula. In many instances i might have a existing part or something and need to add to it  So I want to examine the length of a arc on a loop to be able to compare what stock length of material i could use for it and design around using a stock item as apposed to making something custom.  Custom = more money, more time.

Being Competitive needs to have a balance of less time and money. Having better tools to examine my design can give me a competitive edge.

Message 8 of 20
Vitornis

Also i distrust the measurement tools in Inventor it is far to easy to pick to wrong items or not be able to see if it is giving me the anticipated measurement i want. 

Most of the time i end up doing what someone else suggested and make a temporary and making a quick detail drawing to measure these items.

Message 9 of 20
Dennis_Jeffrey

I had absolutely no problems picking only the arc in my active sketch as shown behind the expanded tooltip.

A measured loop can be open as in the arc, or a closed loop.

@Vitornis wrote:

My problem with that measure tool it that it will select the entire loop. I only want to measure for example in the above picture the ends that form an arc and not include the length of the remainder of the loop.  

Subscribe to the free digital "The Creative Inventor Magazine" now available at: http://teknigroup....

XP64 SP2, GeForce 9800GT-1GB, Driver: 6.14.12.7061, 8GB Ram, AMD Athlon II 3.2 Ghz
Laptop: Win7-64 Pro, 4GB, ATI Graphics on board, 2012 Ultimate, IV2011 or 2010 Pro, all SP's
Message 10 of 20
scottmoyse
in reply to: Dennis_Jeffrey

if you wanted to, you could create a sketch, project the arc, and the use the dimension tool, pick th eend point of the arc, then the center point, then the other end point of the arc, and you will get an arc length dimension.

Very handy for constructing some types of sketches. probably quite useful for some sheet metal base sketches etc..

This answers the question in the title of the thread at least. as opposed to some of the other things that have cropped up.

Scott Moyse
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Design & Manufacturing Technical Services Manager at Cadpro New Zealand

Co-founder of the Grumpy Sloth full aluminium billet mechanical keyboard project

Message 11 of 20
Dennis_Jeffrey
in reply to: scottmoyse

Following your example, I get the angle of the arc, not the length.

Here's an easier approach, not needing a second sketch:

1. If the arc is not part of a closed loop, use the measure loop tool to get the arc length.

2. If the arc IS  part of a closed loop,  temporarily make one segment of the loop a construction object, then use the measure loop tool to get the arc length. Convert the construction object back to normal when done.

This method taks a couple seconds and does not require a second sketch.

@scottmoyse wrote:

if you wanted to, you could create a sketch, project the arc, and the use the dimension tool, pick th eend point of the arc, then the center point, then the other end point of the arc, and you will get an arc length dimension.

Message 12 of 20
scottmoyse

http://cadsetterout.com/inventor/inventor-tip-dimension-arcs/

There it is in all its glory. This really depends at what stage of the design process you want to dimension it and use the information. Dennis will likely want the last word?

Scott Moyse
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Co-founder of the Grumpy Sloth full aluminium billet mechanical keyboard project

Message 13 of 20
nmunro

Not quite what the OP wanted, the resulting dimension is an angle dim (the three selections define two lines).

https://c3mcad.com

Message 14 of 20
Dennis_Jeffrey

I'm speechless! (that does not happen often!)

Actually, you have been bamboozled. The video link that you provided dimensions the angle, not the length.

The article is incorrect. I live by the slogan - "Believe Nothing Question Everything".

Did you take the time to test out the example in the article? If you had, you would know that it was an angle dimension. If you watch the animation carefully, you will notice that the top point of the arc moves slightly to the right when the 90 value is typed in.

This video should clear it up.  No more words from me, promise.... 🙂

http://teknigroup.com/Videos/2012Q2/dimangle.html

@scottmoyse wrote:

http://cadsetterout.com/inventor/inventor-tip-dimension-arcs/

There it is in all its glory. This really depends at what stage of the design process you want to dimension it and use the information. Dennis will likely want the last word?

Message 15 of 20

Dennis is absolutely right. 

I am afraid that my post is wrong - that technique does show the Included Angle - not the Length.

I was shown that tip by a friend, got over exited and posted it and haven't got around to correcting it. 

I will make e it tonight's task!

My apologies to anyone who has been misled.

Paul.

Autodesk Industry Marketing Manager UK D&M
Opinions are my own and may not reflect those of my company.
Linkedin Twitter Instagram Facebook Pinterest

Message 16 of 20
scottmoyse

I gracefully apologise! **** you paul munford! lol. 

I didnt try it out, i saw the 'style' of the dimension, which matches the arc length style in Acad. I assumed, problem is I didn't make an **** out of you and me, i just made one out of myself!

Lesson learnt!

Scott Moyse

EESignature

Message 17 of 20
PaulMunford

Here's a new and improved post:

http://cadsetterout.com/inventor/how-to-measure-dimension-and-specify-arc-length-in-sketches/

I hope that it meets approval 🙂

Paul.

Autodesk Industry Marketing Manager UK D&M
Opinions are my own and may not reflect those of my company.
Linkedin Twitter Instagram Facebook Pinterest

Message 18 of 20

Paul & Scott....  sorry for having a bit of fun with the both of you ... 🙂 I'ts not like I've ever made a mistake. (Yeah, Right)

Paul, excellent repost!

Now, you can be on the lookout for my next gaff!

Dennis

Message 19 of 20
drlamb

In 2011, you don't even have to temporarily change to construction lines. Using the distance tool,pick the arc, default is radius,select other shows length.

Donald L.

Inventor Product Design Suite 2016
Windows 7 Professional - 64 bit
HP h8-1380t - i7-3820 @ 3.6 GHz
16 Gb
AMD Radeon HD7950 3Gb
Message 20 of 20
Dennis_Jeffrey
in reply to: drlamb

Correct!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report