Is it possible to directly measure the length of an arc (if it was
straightened out) other than using a formula with the angle and radius in an
IPT sketch.

--
Cheers,

--Rob Singlehurst
*Singlehurst, Rob
Post 2 of 20

Re: How dim length of arc in IPT sketch?

02-06-2003 07:16 PM in reply to: *Singlehurst, Rob
Don't worry about this as I worked out a formula so the angle alters to give
me the required length.

--
Cheers,

--Rob Singlehurst
Distinguished Contributor
158 Posts
1 Kudo
Post 3 of 20

05-05-2011 01:12 PM in reply to: *Singlehurst, Rob

I was wonder if there was a way to do this. i would like to be able to check and make sure my formula is giving me the correct answer by measuring the length.

*Pro
1,435 Posts
120 Kudos
Post 4 of 20

05-05-2011 01:19 PM in reply to: Vitornis

only way I know of is to create a quick idw, place your completed part (or semi-completed part, at least have a feature created using the questionable arc in the sketch) in the idw and apply a arc length dim to it.

ugly but if your are only checking your formula, I would suspect you only need to check it a couple of times until you trust it.

*Expert Elite*
1,103 Posts
269 Kudos
Post 5 of 20

05-05-2011 02:52 PM in reply to: Vitornis

Why not just use the Measure Distance tool?  If it is a non-circular curve, then just select the curve you wish to measure and it will give you the total length.  If it is a circular arc, Inventor will by default try to measure the radius or diameter, but if you use Select Other and flip through a couple of the choices, it will highlight the arc as shown in the pic, and when you select it it will give you the total length.

Measure Arc.png

If you need to use the measurement in another parameter, then a formula is the way to go.

-cwhetten

*Pro
1,369 Posts
40 Kudos
Post 6 of 20

05-05-2011 09:15 PM in reply to: cwhetten

4-9-2011-NG000021.jpg

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.

Subscribe to the free digital "The Creative Inventor Magazine" now available at: http://teknigroup....

XP64 SP2, GeForce 9800GT-1GB, Driver: 6.14.12.7061, 8GB Ram, AMD Athlon II 3.2 Ghz
Laptop: Win7-64 Pro, 4GB, ATI Graphics on board, 2012 Ultimate, IV2011 or 2010 Pro, all SP's
158 Posts
1 Kudo
Post 7 of 20

05-06-2011 08:16 AM in reply to: *Singlehurst, Rob

My problem with that measure tool it that it will select the entire loop. I only want to measure for example in the above picture the ends that form an arc and not include the length of the remainder of the loop.  

Plus I'm not always checking the my formula. In many instances i might have a existing part or something and need to add to it  So I want to examine the length of a arc on a loop to be able to compare what stock length of material i could use for it and design around using a stock item as apposed to making something custom.  Custom = more money, more time.

Being Competitive needs to have a balance of less time and money. Having better tools to examine my design can give me a competitive edge.

158 Posts
1 Kudo
Post 8 of 20

05-06-2011 08:23 AM in reply to: Vitornis

Also i distrust the measurement tools in Inventor it is far to easy to pick to wrong items or not be able to see if it is giving me the anticipated measurement i want. 

Most of the time i end up doing what someone else suggested and make a temporary and making a quick detail drawing to measure these items.

*Pro
1,369 Posts
40 Kudos
Post 9 of 20

05-06-2011 08:05 PM in reply to: Vitornis

I had absolutely no problems picking only the arc in my active sketch as shown behind the expanded tooltip.

A measured loop can be open as in the arc, or a closed loop.

Vitornis wrote:

My problem with that measure tool it that it will select the entire loop. I only want to measure for example in the above picture the ends that form an arc and not include the length of the remainder of the loop.  

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.

Subscribe to the free digital "The Creative Inventor Magazine" now available at: http://teknigroup....

XP64 SP2, GeForce 9800GT-1GB, Driver: 6.14.12.7061, 8GB Ram, AMD Athlon II 3.2 Ghz
Laptop: Win7-64 Pro, 4GB, ATI Graphics on board, 2012 Ultimate, IV2011 or 2010 Pro, all SP's
*Expert Elite*
1,707 Posts
391 Kudos
Post 10 of 20

05-06-2011 10:06 PM in reply to: Dennis_Jeffrey

if you wanted to, you could create a sketch, project the arc, and the use the dimension tool, pick th eend point of the arc, then the center point, then the other end point of the arc, and you will get an arc length dimension.

Very handy for constructing some types of sketches. probably quite useful for some sheet metal base sketches etc..

This answers the question in the title of the thread at least. as opposed to some of the other things that have cropped up.

Cheers
Scott Moyse

Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution &Give Kudos!Kudos to further enhance the value of these forums. Cheers!

Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Are you interested in helping shape the future of the Autodesk Community? To participate in this brief usability study, please click here. Your time and input is greatly appreciated!