Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I use the sketch from a template for a second extrude?

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
mechamania
483 Views, 4 Replies

How can I use the sketch from a template for a second extrude?

Hi

I'm using a template file (part with just a drawing in it) for the basis of a few parts.

In one of these parts I use the template sketch for an extrude. After that I would like to use it again for

some other extrude. But I can not reference the drawing again. Normally I can 'share'a sketch. But

somehow a sketch from a template file can not be shared. How can I use the template sketch for a second

extrude?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
JDMather
in reply to: mechamania

I cannot reproduce this behavior.

What version of Inventor are you using?

Can you attach file here that exhibits this behavior?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 5
mechamania
in reply to: JDMather

I attached the part cab1_WheelSegment.ipt. This part uses the template part cab1_template_wheel.ipt for an extrusion. I want to do another (cut) extrusion, but I can not reference the Sketch anymore. I also see no possibility to share the sketch.

Message 4 of 5
JDMather
in reply to: mechamania

@mechamania wrote:
 I also see no possibility to share the sketch.

Uhmmm, the sketch is already set as a Shared Sketch - that is what the hand symbol means.  (start a new sketch and examine the different symbol in the browser)

I can use this Shared Sketch for additional features with no trouble.

Shared Sketch.PNG

Also, you might have a good reason in this case, but I normally recommend patterning features rather than sketch entiities.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 5 of 5
mechamania
in reply to: JDMather

I feel stupid! The visibility of the sketch was switched off! I didn't realize that you can not reference it for an extrude when switched off.

Thanks.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report