Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I select these bodies?

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
riveter1000
333 Views, 7 Replies

How can I select these bodies?

I am designing some enclosures for PCBs. They come to me as step files with sometimes 400 components. I would like to delete the tiny surface mount components to free up memory. I really only need the PCB and the big components that define the envelope of the enclosure.

My question is how can I select the little ones other than clicking on them one by one? Can I box select or filter them by size like in some 3D applications?

Screenshot 001.png

Mark

Inventor Professional 2015 SP1

System Specs:
Dell Precision M6800
CPU Intel I7-4600M
RAM 16 GB
Graphics Nvidia Quadro K5100M
Tags (2)
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
bgarden
in reply to: riveter1000

Shift + Right Click > Component Size, then choose your percentage of size compared to overall model.  You will see the selected parts highlight as you change percentage.  Once selected you can simply delete.

Hope this helps.

Message 3 of 8
riveter1000
in reply to: bgarden

These are my options when I shift-right click. I don't see a way to select by size.

Screenshot 002.png

Mark

System Specs:
Dell Precision M6800
CPU Intel I7-4600M
RAM 16 GB
Message 4 of 8
bgarden

Sorry, my eyes weren't seeing clearly, I thought you were in an assembly.  I can now see you are in a multiple solid part.

In that case you will just have to multi-select in the browser or graphics window and delete I'm afraid.

(Unless you wanted to convert to an assembly giving you seperate ipt files for each solid body which could then be selected using method in previous response.)

Message 5 of 8
riveter1000

When you say convert to an assembly, can I convert the part to assembly or do I have to specify that option when I open the step file?

Mark

System Specs:
Dell Precision M6800
CPU Intel I7-4600M
RAM 16 GB
Message 6 of 8
bgarden

From the multi-solid body part file you can go to Mange Tab > Make Components.  You can then select all your solid body's and choose to convert them to individual .ipt files inserted into a .iam file.

Message 7 of 8
riveter1000

OK. Thank you.

Mark

System Specs:
Dell Precision M6800
CPU Intel I7-4600M
RAM 16 GB
Message 8 of 8
4donwan4

The best suggestion would be the assembly component size option that was given prior. Within the part file you would need to delete individually.

Regards,

Don

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report