Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Can I put holes in a pattern on helix shape object?

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
Anonymous
595 Views, 8 Replies

How Can I put holes in a pattern on helix shape object?

I am new to Autodesk Inventor, and I want to put holes on 2 sides of helix shape object.   The holes are about 0.125" deep and 0.80" wide and next to each other.   Encluded the shape.

Thanks for your help

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
sam_m
in reply to: Anonymous

Welcome to the forum.

Whenever posting please list the version of Inventor you are using as anyone on an older release is unable to open any example files (and commands/abilities change with releases) - so it helps to prevent frustration for everyone to know the version from the start 😉

I have been able to open the file, so you're at least on Iv2012 (or older)...

1) all your sketches are unconstained and missing dimensions.  Without any dimensions the sketches can change freely and have no concept of scale - you say you want 0.8" diameter holes, but what if you sketch is only 0.1" wide to start with, or 100"...  Plus it needs to be constrained to either the origin, or a fixed point, to prevent the sketches moving about...  I know this probably sounds confusing, or even unnecessary, but with more and more use of Inventor it soon becomes vital.

For help, it's worth reading through JD Mather's tips for beginners guide as it will give you a great start with Inventor:

http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/SkillsUSA%20University.pdf 

2) I can see a helical rib running around a rod/shaft but I'm still lost where you're wanting your holes.  Can you post a sketch/photo/image of what you're wanting.  "2 sides of helix shape object.... and next to each other" isn't massively descriptive.

Sam M.
Inventor and Showcase monkey

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question...
If you have found any post to be helpful, even if it's not a direct solution, then please provide that author kudos - spread that love 😄

Message 3 of 9
JDMather

See Tip #47  http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/SkillsUSA%20University.pdf

I am curious,

how did you get your geometry to exact sizes without dimensions.

Did you originally have dimensions and then delete them?
If so, why?

Have you installd Service Packs 1 & 2 and Update 3 for 2012?

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/index?siteID=123112&id=2334435&linkID=9242019#section25

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous

I am started to work with Autodesk Inventor since Thursday and every now and then.   I still do not know many of basic of AutoDesk Inventor.

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: sam_m

Thanks for replying.

I have downloaded the PDF, and will create a new diagram with everyone recommedations.  

Viewed tip #47, and still is confusing.

Message 6 of 9
JDMather

That document was a shortened version of this one

http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/AU2007/MA105-1L%20Mather.pdf

You will do a curve driven pattern using the Rectangular Pattern tool.

Make a attempt and then post it here.
I could give you a "solution" but it will help you learn if you try it yourself first (it is tricky).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: JDMather

I try it and I could not figured out.  Please give the solution.  

Thanks for your help

Message 8 of 9
JDMather

Post your attempt here - it doesn't matter if it is incorrect.

Message 9 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: JDMather

I could not even create a hole on helix surface.? I can create a hole square side, but I do not want?it there.
?
This is part of a pet project.? I?do greatly apperiate your help.?? Please send me the solution.
?
?
Thanks

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report