Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I move a Work Plane and not break my model?

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
riveter1000
2137 Views, 8 Replies

How can I move a Work Plane and not break my model?

I seem to be missing something fundamental about Inventor. I want to move Work Plane41 to 12 5/32 from Work Plane 40. In a perfect world I could just double click on Work Plane41 and change its offset value. But all I can figure to do is use Redefine. And that destroys the model. I tried to turn Adaptive in Extrusion2, but that is not an option. What am I doing wrong?

move plane.png

Mark

Inventor Professional 2015 SP1

System Specs:
Dell Precision M6800
CPU Intel I7-4600M
RAM 16 GB
Graphics Nvidia Quadro K5100M
Tags (2)
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
LT.Rusty
in reply to: riveter1000

How did you define the plane in the first place?  Was it offset from something else, or did you use 3 points, or point-line, or something else?

If you defined it by offset from something else, then right-click on it and click on EDIT DIMENSION.

Rusty

EESignature

Message 3 of 9
Cadmanto

Mark,

There is an unresolved link in your model and it wont open.

Also, like Rusty said, you should be able to RC on the offset plane in the browser and change the distance.

dim.jpg

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 4 of 9
riveter1000
in reply to: LT.Rusty

The plane was offset from the plane under it in the tree.

Mark

System Specs:
Dell Precision M6800
CPU Intel I7-4600M
RAM 16 GB
Message 5 of 9
riveter1000
in reply to: Cadmanto

The unresolved link is to the dumb solid I used to make the profile for the extrusion. I broke the link intentionally.

Mark

System Specs:
Dell Precision M6800
CPU Intel I7-4600M
RAM 16 GB
Message 6 of 9
JDMather

@riveter1000 wrote:

... I broke the link intentionally.

Looks like you missed a step if you intended to break the link.

Break Link.png

I think it would be highly unusual to have 19 workplanes and 18 workaxis referenced in a part (actually I have never seen that technique before).  Can you supply more information on your design intent and technique?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 7 of 9
LT.Rusty
in reply to: JDMather

@Anonymous wrote:

I think it would be highly unusual to have 19 workplanes and 18 workaxis referenced in a part (actually I have never seen that technique before).  Can you supply more information on your design intent and technique?

heh

Got a guy that used to work here whose name I curse on a regular basis.  He used so many work planes that frequently you couldn't see the actual part through the planes.  I opened a part of his one time that had over 350 work planes in it.

Back to the OP's issue though ... yeah, you can't right click / edit dimension.  That's probably the least of the issues present, though...

Rusty

EESignature

Message 8 of 9
riveter1000
in reply to: JDMather

JD,

I am trying to create a display model (for a render) from a dumb solid that is similar to what I need. I projected the cross section from the solid onto my workplane to create my extrusion. I later needed to make it longer and found that moving the plane broke my model.

All of those extra workplanes came in with the dumb solid. That's not my doing. Or maybe I have the option of not bringing them in when I import.

Mark

System Specs:
Dell Precision M6800
CPU Intel I7-4600M
RAM 16 GB
Message 9 of 9
riveter1000
in reply to: Cadmanto

I did some rework on the part and now the Edit Dimension option is available on the plane.

Thanks for helping guys.

Mark

System Specs:
Dell Precision M6800
CPU Intel I7-4600M
RAM 16 GB

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report