Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how can i manually resize a work plane?

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
andrew.nao
4804 Views, 11 Replies

how can i manually resize a work plane?

i remember a time where i was able to grab a corner of a work plane and resize it to my liking. is that not possible anymore? if it is still possible how do i do it? found the solution please ignore
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
Gokhan_Kaya
in reply to: andrew.nao

Hello

you can resize workplane manual

first you do right click on workplane on browser and uncheck AutoResize

you can resize workplane by pull corner of workplane

Forumlarımızda çözülen sorularınızı "ÇÖZÜM OLARAK KABUL ET" ("Accept as Solution") seçimiyle işaretlemeyi lütfen unutmayın.
Beğendiğiniz mesajları lütfen "Övgü Puanı" ("Kudo") ile ödüllendirin.

Gökhan Kaya
Tehcnical Manager
Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional 2015
LinkedIn

MSI WS 60 i7 Quadro M2000M

Message 3 of 12
blair

Select the Work Plane, then RMB to bring up it's properties. It could be set to Auto-Size.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 4 of 12
andrew.nao
in reply to: blair

it was set to auto resize but that still doesnt tell me how i can manually resize the work plane. the grips wont let me stretch it
Message 5 of 12
blair

Change your Selection Filter to "Select Sketch Features" instead of "Select Component Priority". The selection filter is just to the LH of the Material and Appearance icons on the upper menu bar.

You will need to change the selection filter back after. You will then be able to "grab" the little icons on the corners of the Plane when you select the work plane

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 6 of 12
andrew.nao

thank you, that worked
Message 7 of 12
SBix26

To add to Blair's answer, assembly workplanes are quite different from part workplanes, even though they look the same.  You may notice that manual re-sizing of an assembly workplane will be symmetric about its center, so you are not able to "move" it by pulling only in one direction.  Assembly workplanes are actually more like components (with constraints to other components), whereas part workplanes are more like features.

Sam B

Inventor Professional 2015 SP1 Update 1
Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit, SP1
HP EliteBook 8770w; 8 GB RAM; Core™ i7-3720QM 2.60 GHz; Quadro K4000M

Message 8 of 12
david.beal
in reply to: SBix26

Would be nice to resize AND move the assembly planes.  Then I could localize them to the area where they apply.

Message 9 of 12
blair
in reply to: david.beal

If you  change the Selection Filter to "Select Faces and Edges" you can select a Work Plane placed at the IAM level to resize. You will need to drag the one side over and then select the other side. You can't drag the Work Plane as a single drag but it can be "re-sized" to the new location. You will still need to edit the "Offset" manually from the Side Browser window.

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 10 of 12
david.beal

I'm sure I could move the assembly planes in 2017 by dragging the edges like you suggest but 2018 only allows me to grab the corners. The plane can be resized but stays centered. I can't "move" it by dragging the edges. Thank you.
Message 11 of 12
blair

Odd, I can "move" it on my system by dragging the corner to make it larger and then drag the other corner to size it smaller. It does move this way, grant it, it's cumbersome in moving as you have to drag it large to where you want the one side and then, drag to existing side/corner to where you want it.

I don't have IV0217 on my system anymore to compare the functionality. 

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 12 of 12
hakonob

As others have said:

Disable Auto-Resize. (Right mouse button)

Set "select faces and edges" or "Select sketch features", to be able to resize teh planes. (Top menu line, next to material and apperance)

If the plane has been created as an ofset of another plane, it will remain centered relative to this plane.

To be able to move plane side to side:

Right click on plane, "Show relationships", delete the Flush mate between the two planes. 

Now the plane can be moved freely sideways or up and down.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report