Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can i handle Weldment Shrinkage

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
590 Views, 6 Replies

How can i handle Weldment Shrinkage

Hi there,

I have an assembly which is in essence a 5m long welded I-beam (400m x 130mm), it has certain features which mean i cant just use a standard beam.

This beam is expected to shrink length ways as its welded.

What i need to be able to do is to show certain dimensions at certain points of the build, i will try and explain this

1. First i need a part file that is, lets say 5mm longer than it should be (due to the fact that once it has been welded it will shrink in length). This part file and drawing will be given to the laser cutter for manufacture
  2. Next i need to put that part into an assembly and show the part in its fully welded state (eg it needs to show the part the size i want it to be as finished, lets say 5mm less than the part file)

Restrictions i have

1. I cannot use iParts as our custom "vault style" program does not support this and there is no way around this

Can anyone help with a simple workflow for this

Regards

Lee Gardner

Inventor Pro 2014

Dell T7600

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
blair
in reply to: Anonymous

Create the IAM weldment and then Derive the "shrunk" ibeam into a IPT and use the SDK tools with scaling in the length direction to reduce the lengthto the 5mm less.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: blair

Hi Blair,

Thanks for that, i will give that a crack but i was hoping something was available maybe at part level, similar to configurations in solidworks.

Regards

Lee Gardner

Message 4 of 7
LT.Rusty

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi Blair,

Thanks for that, i will give that a crack but i was hoping something was available maybe at part level, similar to configurations in solidworks.

Regards

Lee Gardner

Yep ... iParts.

Too bad you can't use them.  😛

Rusty

EESignature

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: LT.Rusty

Yep, tell me about it.

Its the creating extra folders full of derivations that our system wont handle

Message 6 of 7
blair

If the part number for the frame IAM is ABC.IAM, just create the derived from the assembly as ABC.IPT. Since you have already detailed each of the IPT's that make up the IAM, you don't need to detail them again because they have shrunk from the heat. You only need detail the shrunk IPT derived file. About the only way I know in Inventor.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 7 of 7
Anonymous

Hi guys,

Thanks for the advice,

I think the solution for us will be to derive the part and use ilogic and parameters to adjust the size

Not the best solution but the simplest for our system to handle

Regards

Lee Gardner

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report