Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I get the balloon to stay on the tracking line?

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
JWittACS
1263 Views, 11 Replies

How can I get the balloon to stay on the tracking line?

I am trying to get the balloons equidistant from each other and on the same horizontal "line", however when I try to place some balloons, I can not select the correct placement. The balloon is effectively acting like trying to put two magnets with the same polarity together... I just can't get it in the right place.

Here is a short screencast so you can see what I mean.

Short Screencast

~JWittACS

Inventor 2011 / Windows 7 Pro SP1 64bit
Dell Precision T3600
Intel Xeon E5-1607 @ 3.00GHz
AMD FirePro V4900
20 GB Ram
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
scottmoyse
in reply to: JWittACS

highlight all the balloons you want aligned, then right click and select like in the image below:

align.png

Scott Moyse
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Design & Manufacturing Technical Services Manager at Cadpro New Zealand

Co-founder of the Grumpy Sloth full aluminium billet mechanical keyboard project

Message 3 of 12
JWittACS
in reply to: scottmoyse

Thanks for the quick reply and visual aid. I didn't realize that I was going about my alignment completely wrong!

Dell Precision T3600
AMD FirePro V4900
20 GB Ram
Message 4 of 12
swhite

When you first place your balloons you can also hover next to the first (may need to cross over it) and it will project an alignment plane for the second, and so on to help alignment.

Steven White
Lee C. Moore, Inc.
www.lcm-wci.com
Inventor 2011
Intel Dual Xeon E31225 @ 3.1 GHz CPU
16 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro 600 GPU
Windows 7 - 64 Bit
Message 5 of 12
JWittACS
in reply to: swhite

Yes, that is the method I was using to place them before, as is shown in the screencast. Thank you for responding, I appreciate all the help I can get. Robot Happy

*EDIT* I guess the screencast doesn't really indicate my method when first placing the balloon, but that is what I was doing.

Dell Precision T3600
AMD FirePro V4900
20 GB Ram
Message 6 of 12
swhite

it does, I just didn't see the attachment 🙂

Steven White
Lee C. Moore, Inc.
www.lcm-wci.com
Inventor 2011
Intel Dual Xeon E31225 @ 3.1 GHz CPU
16 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro 600 GPU
Windows 7 - 64 Bit
Message 7 of 12
scottmoyse

@JWittACS wrote:

*EDIT* I guess the screencast doesn't really indicate my method when first placing the balloon, but that is what I was doing.

I think your screencast was great. Thank you for sharing it right off the bat. It makes answering questions on these forums quick and easy. There's nothing worse than someone posting an issue/question but not providing enough detail. So good work.

Scott Moyse
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Design & Manufacturing Technical Services Manager at Cadpro New Zealand

Co-founder of the Grumpy Sloth full aluminium billet mechanical keyboard project

Message 8 of 12
djreesing

You can also try pressing the Ctrl key when positioning the balloons. This will disable the 'snap' feature which I believe you are trying to describe with the magnet explanation.

Best regards, Daniël

Message 9 of 12
JWittACS
in reply to: djreesing

Thank you ScottMoyse.

djreesing, Holding down the Ctrl key does not disable the "snap" feature for me when placing the balloons. Perhaps that functionality is an option? or maybe in a later release... I am currently using 2011.

Dell Precision T3600
AMD FirePro V4900
20 GB Ram
Message 10 of 12
jtylerbc
in reply to: djreesing

@djreesing wrote:

You can also try pressing the Ctrl key when positioning the balloons. This will disable the 'snap' feature which I believe you are trying to describe with the magnet explanation.

Best regards, Daniël

Indeed - the problem is that the tracking line for aligning with the other balloon is fighting with the angle snap positions when they get too close together.

Message 11 of 12
dan_inv09

Holy cow, it does work!!!

I'm on 2013 and this had bothered me for so long. I seem to recall them adding this for, like, dimensions or something but it didn't work for balloons when first implemented and I had gotten so used to working around it - and continuing to grumble. Not that the align function hasn't been awesome.

(Did they actually quietly finish a feature that had been poorly implemented at the beginning?)

Message 12 of 12
djreesing
in reply to: dan_inv09

Yes this is a new feature since release 2013, so it won't work when you're on 2011.

I believe it was documented in the official 2013 what's new whitepaper.

Daniël

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report