Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I draw this?

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
Francis.Foley
677 Views, 10 Replies

How can I draw this?

Hi All,

Anyone got ideas on how to go about drawing this part UTE2738?

Capacitor Clip UTE2738.PNG

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
JDMather
in reply to: Francis.Foley

I would probably start with an arc and two lines.

Can you attach your *.ipt attempt here?

I gave it a little more thought and decided I would start with two lines and no arc in the first sketch.

What version of Inventor are you using?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 11

My ipt. I drew an arc and then added a contour flange but it wont allow me to add more flanges.

I use Inventor Professional 2014.

Message 4 of 11
Mario428

I look at a part like that and let the method of production drive the model. If there is 10,000 to make and it will be done on a progressive die then the model would be drawn correctly and then use better software to figure out the blank and manufacturing steps. Never had to make 10,000 of anything like that so the details are a little vague

But if I had to make 10 using the equipment at my disposal I would draw the circle with 3 flats where the tabs go add the tabs and flanges from there. Is the model 100% correct, not even close but it will work and it can be made.

Message 5 of 11
Francis.Foley
in reply to: Mario428

Mario428 I do not drawing it for manufacturing purposes, I need it because this part is used in this assembly I make to hold the capacitor in position!

Assembly.PNG

Message 6 of 11
VdVeek

If you don't need to produce then create a normal part and don't use sheetmetal.Give the part some chamfers and it looks good.

Rob

Autodesk Inventor 2015 Certified Professional & Autodesk Inventor 2012 Certified Professional.
Message 7 of 11
JDMather

See attached.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 8 of 11
Francis.Foley
in reply to: JDMather

JD impressive I'd have been wracking my brains trying to figure this out. I'm eternally grateful for your help and would love to give you a million kudos!

Message 9 of 11

Francis,

If the model is mostly for visualization or assembly purposes, I would draw the contour flange of the circular can and the clamping tabs at the top of the part.  Then create an offset workplane at the bottom of those tabs.  Create the slotted tabs and then connect them to the main body with a simple extrude feature.  Make a circular pattern and you should be good to go!  You can actually mix and match sheet metal and regular features, if you need to.  The part will never unfold, at least not properly, but this could get you by for now.  Here is a screen shot of the model and feature tree for your reference.  Hope this helps and have a most blessed day!

Peace,

Pete

Sheet Metal Part.png

Just a guy on a couch...

Please give a kudos if helpful and mark as a solution if somehow I got it right.
Message 10 of 11

Here is a copy of this model for your reference.  Not sure why I didn't post it before...

Just a guy on a couch...

Please give a kudos if helpful and mark as a solution if somehow I got it right.
Message 11 of 11

Thanks for the kudos, Francis!  One final thought...  Don't be afraid to ask suppliers for their files.  They may just give you dumb solids, but at least you will have their geometry for your parts.

Just a guy on a couch...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report