Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I deleat a file that refuses to be deleated

41 REPLIES 41
Message 1 of 42
Don A
384 Views, 41 Replies

How can I deleat a file that refuses to be deleated

I have never experienced anything like this before. I have a two ipt file that refuse to be deleted.

I think this files are causing problems elsewhere in system, but cant get rid of then.

The files are in a "Old Versions" folder.

I am working in Windows Explorer and Inventor is closed...

When I try to delete the folder I get a message "cannot delete blah blah... cannot find the specified file.

When I highlite either of the files and click "Properties" I get "the properties for this item are not available". When I highlite either file and click "delete" absolutely nothing at all happens. Actually when I try to do anything with the files nothing happens. Cant copy, cany cut, cand DELETE... Nothing

Both files have the same files, but have the .0002 & .0003 added to the name because they are in the "Old versions" folder. Both files have very long names, and I got a feeling that when Inventor added the ".0002 and .0003 thin, this is what screwed them up.

This is the first time I have never been able to NOT get rid of a file and or folder. They are not "read only files" either, I guess, as I can not even get "Properties" I am not sure.

Its like they are not even there but I can see them and highlite them. WIERD!!!!

Is there something in the Registry to kill them? Can I get rid of them through DOS? I am no guru, but sure do need the help of one.

Bottom line... HOW DO I GET RID OF THEM?

Regards,

Don A 🙂
41 REPLIES 41
Message 41 of 42
Don A
in reply to: Don A

THERE GONE 🙂

I found a program on the Internet called "BCWipe". Program is designed to wipe very clean... no trails at all.

Ran it and it had a few issues with the directory and files.

It managed to get them out of my Inventor file area, and put the directories into one it renamed in the root directory. Of course I still had them, but in a different place. BUT... even in their new location I could still not delete the directory or files... BUT BUT... I renamed this new directory that BCWipe created to "Don", and vola.. was able to then delete it... so I got rid of myself... O well... GO FIGURE... So far my system seems to be running better. I sure cant explain it all but hopefully these files and problem are out of my life.

I do want to THANK EVERYONE for their help. By trying al the suggestions, one of which actually directed me to look for the "wipe" type program on the internet. I was able to "fix" the problam (fingers still crossed).

This is GREAT forum with a lot of great people supporting it.

THANKS AGAIN TO ALL...

Regards,

Don A 🙂
Message 42 of 42
Anonymous
in reply to: Don A

http://www.jv16.org/ Deletes the files others cant........free too. -- Laurence, Power is nothing without Control --- "Don A" wrote in message news:4496263.1073437615330.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > THERE GONE 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report