Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How accurate are stress analysis in Inventor

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
3937 Views, 5 Replies

How accurate are stress analysis in Inventor

Hi Guys,

How accurate do you think are Stress Analysis in Inventor? To me it's a complete rubbish! 

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
JDMather
in reply to: Anonymous

Post file that demonstrates this observation.

In my FEA class we run the same problems through Inventor, SolidWorks, Creo and Algor (Autodesk Analysis) and get the same results in all.  Some of them we run check against hand calculations from formulas found the Machinery's Handbook.  Perhaps I need better examples for my class.  Post your examples.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: JDMather

I admitt that simple calcs are pretty mach accurate but once you run some difficult stractural model with more forces involved it's an utter rubbish. 

Just one example; we run stress analisys on arch sheave that had 20 rollers bolted from each side with M24 bolts so 40 off M24 grade 8.8 botls in total. Now shear force for one M24 bolt is about 13.4 KN. The load spread over all 20 rollers is 2.5 tone (not even worth of calculating right?) but inventor analisys would fail on bolt connections! I am pretty comftable that the first thing going off would be the frame of the sheave rather tha bolts...... 

Message 4 of 6
mcgyvr

FEA is only as good as the data entered.. Crap in..crap out.

These programs are based on the proper mathmatical equations and should be as close as you can get with the proper input...loads/constraints/material properties,etc...

1 missing or improper constraint or whatever and its all out the window..

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: mcgyvr

You are maybe right. That's why I am saying that simple stuff is good but hard stuff must accurately examined for constrains that's one of the thinks Autodesk should work on.... to make it much simpler and easier to use because it very time consuming. One error will cost you hours of time to investigate. 

Message 6 of 6
JDMather

@Anonymous wrote:

...but hard stuff must accurately examined ...

That's why you get paid the big $bucks$.  Maybe by the time we retire robust, real-time FEA for the casual user will be old hat.

read Bill Vaghn Cohen's - The Engineering Method.  (no - it is not about FEA, more about how we really work)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report